Sustainability Hub Seminar Series
Sustainability Hub Seminar Series
The Office of Sustainability and the Sustainability Hubs are pleased to present 3 Sustainability Hub seminars each semester.
These seminars occur in September, October and November during the fall semester, and February, March and April during the spring semester.
Each seminar focuses on a sustainability initiative in one of Ohio University's 12 sustainability themes: transportation, food, water, waste, procurement, investments, grounds, energy, buildings, student life, human resources and climate.
Fall 2022 Seminar Dates and Topics
More detailed Information about the fall 2022 Sustainability Hub Seminar Series will be posted in the Calendar of University Events and below once available.
- September 19, 2022, 5pm, Baker Center Front Room. Sustainable Administration Hub Coordinator Ryan Fogt will lead a seminar on "Sustainable Procurement.” Dr. Fogt will be joined by Mary Nally, Director of the Center for Campus and Community Engagement.
- October 17, 2022, 5pm, Baker Center Front Room. Sustainable Infrastructure Hub Coordinator Jesus Pagan will lead a seminar on "Sustainable Energy Management."
- November 21, 2022, 5pm, Baker Center Front Room. Sustainable Living Hub Coordinator Kyle Butler will lead a seminar on "Sustainable Grounds."
- February 14, 2022, 5pm. The Sustainable Living Hub Seminar took place in Grover W115 and was centered on the topic of Students Advancing Sustainability. Hub Coordinator Kim Thompson and a student panel lead the seminar. View the recording of the seminar on our Facebook Page.
- April 11, 2022, 5pm. Sustainable Administration Hub Coordinator Dr. Ryan Fogt led a Sustainability Seminar on Human Resources at in Grover W115. The title of the seminar was “People in Progress,” and a panel of speakers from Human Resources, Diversity and Inclusion, and OHIO Wellness talked about many of their ongoing programs, initiatives, and strategies to promote the value of people at our university. View the recording of the seminar on our Facebook Page.
- May 2, 2022, 5pm. Sustainable Infrastructure Hub Coordinator Dr. Jesus Pagan led a seminar on the topic of Sustainable Buildings, featuring Barton-Marlow construction projects at Ohio University and other locations. View the recording of the seminar on our Facebook Page.
- February 15, 2021, 5pm. VIRTUAL HUB SEMINAR: Sustainable Living Hub Coordinator Kim Thompson and Tia Hysell, Director of Transportation and Parking Services at Ohio University, share options for sustainable transportation around campus and the surrounding community. The seminar examines the impacts our transportation choices have on the environment and the variety of options we have available to us in Athens.
- March 22, 2021, 5pm. VIRTUAL HUB SEMINAR: Sustainable Administration Hub Coordinator Ryan Fogt, Ana Rosado-Feger, Associate Professor of Operations Management, David Stowe, Associate Professor of Finance, and student investment group members discuss investing basics, how sustainability plays a role in modern investment decision making, and the challenges and successes the OHIO student investment teams have experienced over the last eight years. Additionally, presenters examine cutting edge student research into sustainable and ESG investing.
- April 19, 2021, 5pm: VIRTUAL HUB SEMINAR: Jesus Pagán, Sustainable Infrastructure Hub Coordinator, and Dr. Andrew Weems, Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering, discuss and demonstrate research on plastic recycling efforts, including for 3D printing, within the Russ College of Engineering and Technology.
- September 13, 2021, 5pm. VIRTUAL HUB SEMINAR: Sustainable Infrastructure Hub Coordinator Jesus Pagan led a seminar on "Water Pollution: Nutrient Recovery Solutions”. Dr. Pagan was joined by Rick Johnson, Applied Environmental Solutions, LLC, and Environmental Studies graduate student Madeline Yeatts.
- October 11, 2021, 5pm. VIRTUAL HUB SEMINAR: Sustainable Living Hub Coordinator Kim Thompson led a seminar on "Sustainability in Food Production, Distribution and Consumption" with guest speakers Dr. David Rosenthal, Associate Professor in Environmental and Plant Biology; Susie Huser, Community Food Initiatives Communications and Donation Station Program Director; Tanya Hire, Athens Farmers Market Manager; and Larry Cowdrey of Cowdrey Farms Agricultural Cooperative, discussing a range of topics including why we might embrace sustainable agricultural practices, what’s happening at the OHIO Student Farm, efforts by the Farm to Ohio Working Group (FOWG), and opportunities to support local farmers.
- November 8, 2021, 5pm. VIRTUAL HUB SEMINAR: Sustainable Administration Hub Coordinator Dr. Ryan Fogt led a Sustainability Seminar on "The Increased Urgency of Climate Action: What is Ohio University Doing?" Dr. Fogt was joined by Ellen Gill-Franks and Sarah Lapido, Student Trustees, Ohio University Board of Trustees, and Elaine Goetz, Director of Energy Management and Sustainability, Ohio University.
- February 27, 2020, 4pm. IN_PERSON SEMINAR, Baker University Center Front Room: Dr. Ryan Fogt & Panelists including Cat Russell (Human Resources) and Jan Huebenthal (Diversity & Inclusion). Topic: Creating a Sustainable Workplace: Fostering Belonging at OHIO
- March 26, 2020, 5pm. Baker University Center Front Room: Dr. David Bayless & Steve Wood, Ohio University Chief Facilities Officer. Topic: Sustainable Energy at Ohio University. CANCELLED due to COVID-19
- April 22, 2020, 5pm. VIRTUAL HUB SEMINAR: Dr. Theresa Moran & Susan Calhoun, Landscape Coordinator. Topic: Ohio University Tree Program
- September 14, 5pm. VIRTUAL HUB SEMINAR: Dr. David Bayless, Sustainable Infrastructure Hub Coordinator and Loehr Professor of Mechanical Engineering, and special guest Alex Burke, Energy Procurement & Environmental Sustainability Advisor at Cardinal Health and alumnus of the OHIO Environmental Studies MA program. Topic: Implementing Sustainable Energy Projects – From Ideation to Carbon Free Power.
- October 12, 5pm. VIRTUAL HUB SEMINAR: Dr. Kim Thompson, Sustainable Living Hub Coordinator and Associate Professor of Environmental & Plant Biology. Topic: OHIO's newest Green Roof on Schoonover Center
- November 9, 5pm. VIRTUAL HUB SEMINAR: Dr. Ryan Fogt, Sustainable Administration Hub Coordinator and Rusty Thomas, Purchasing Manager. Topic: Sustainable Purchasing practices at Ohio University
- February 19, 2019: IN-PERSON SEMINAR, Baker University Center Front Room: Summary of Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Special Report and Introduction to the Climate & Sustainability Ambassadors program, presented by Dr. Ryan Fogt, Sustainable Administration Hub Coordinator
- March 19, 2019: IN-PERSON SEMINAR, Baker University Center Front Room: Introduction to the Sustainable Project Laboratory and the Sustainable Infrastructure Hub, presented by Dr. David Bayless, Sustainable Infrastructure Hub Coordinator
- April 16, 2019: IN-PERSON SEMINAR, Baker University Center Front Room: The OHIO Student Farm and the Farm to OHIO initiative, presented by Dr. Theresa Moran, Sustainable Living Hub Coordinator ***this seminar will include a trip to the OHIO Student Farm after a brief introduction in the Front Room.
- September 4, 2019, 5pm. IN-PERSON SEMINAR, Baker University Center Front Room: "Sustainability: A challenge of and solution to global climate change" presented by Dr. Ryan Fogt.
- October 3, 2019, 5pm. IN-PERSON SEMINAR, Baker University Center Front Room: The OHIO Student Farm, presented by Dr. Theresa Moran and a student panel.
- November 6, 2019, 5pm. IN-PERSON SEMINAR, Baker University Center Front Room: Sustainable Project Laboratory and other academic initiatives related to sustainability, presented by Dr. David Bayless.