Office of Recycling and Zero WasteThe waste generated on the Athens campus is managed in multiple ways internally by the Office of Recycling and Zero Waste, the Compost Facility and Moving & Surplus, as well as externally through a contract with Athens Hocking Recycling Centers. Recycling, compost, landfilled waste and surplus items generated on campus are carefully and separately processed.
The Voinovich School of Leadership and Public Affairs Zero Waste Initiative, a part of the Sugar Bush Foundation-funded Applachian Ohio Zero Waste Initiative, collaborates with many stakeholders across campus to promote zero waste implementation and Green Events.
Office of Recycling and Zero Waste
The Office of Recycling and Zero Waste is responsible for maintaining, monitoring, troubleshooting and upgrading the recycling and waste handling at all campus buildings and grounds areas.
Please visit Recycling and Zero Waste to:
- Order recycling, compost and landfill bins (through online work request system)
- Inquire about annual move-in and move-out days at the residence hall
- Participate in the annual RecycleMania national competition (OU helped start it!)
- Request presentations to students, faculty, and staff about campus recycling services
- Organize campus event recycling (athletics, conferences, etc.)
- and more!
Ohio University currently produces Class II Compost and Class IV Compost. The Class II compost facility is managed by Facilities Management and Safety, and is the largest known in-vessel composting system at any college or university in the nation. Food waste generated in the dining halls on campus is taken to this facility where it is processed into nutrient-rich soil amendment and then used on campus grounds and sold to the public.
Visit the Facilities Management webpage to:
- Learn more about composting at Ohio University
- Learn how to purchase soil amendment from the compost facility
Compost Facility Tours
Are you a faculty member interested in bringing your class up to the compost facility? Are you a staff member at another institution looking to develop a compost facility? Or, are you a student club interested in learning more about organics recycling? The staff in the Office of Sustainability would be happy to support your goals by offering a tour of the facility for groups of 6 or more. Schedule a tour of the facility by filling out a tour request form
All materials on campus that can be reused are transferred to the Office of Moving and Surplus. There, the items are placed into inventory and resold to the campus and community. Please contact Moving and Surplus to:
- Schedule a pick up of reuseable materials such as furniture and electronic equipment
- Purchase materials for reuse
- Rent tables and chairs for events
Zero Waste Initiative
The staff members of the Zero Waste Initiative advance zero waste implementation on campus, including supporting Green Events. Please contact the Zero Waste Initiative to:
- Register a Green Event
- View the Green Events Guide
- Request a Green Events consultation
- Participate in zero waste initiatives on campus
- Find out more about zero waste