Master's in Educational Leadership
Program Codes: ME6229 (Athens campus with licensure), ME5028 (Athens campus without licensure), ME5027 (regional campus)
The General Master’s Degree Program in Educational Leadership offers practicing and aspiring leaders in all types of organizations—business, public, and educational—an opportunity to develop and enhance their skills and knowledge to work effectively with people, data, and organizational systems. Students enrolling in this program, which is offered in a blended face-to-face and an online format, will work with an advisor to develop an individualized program of study that aligns professional goals with relevant coursework in leadership and related disciplines.
This program is for those individuals who are interested in receiving a master’s degree that is focused on leadership but are not seeking administrative or another licensure. Teachers, international students, administrators from public social agencies, university officials, and the like can benefit from participation in the program.
In other words, the program is responsive to a broad range of needs and provides considerable latitude for individuals and groups of students in the selection of electives to correspond to their interests and needs.
The degree program involves the study of the foundations and application of educational leadership, the nature of school organizations, human relations in educational organizations, and research methods and applications. Additional specialized study and field experiences are included to prepare the students for varied leadership roles.
- Students can apply to the program year-round. Admission is available each term.
- Applicants will need a 2.9 GPA in the undergraduate coursework of a bachelor’s degree, a 3.25 GPA in the last 90 quarter or 60 semester hours of a bachelor’s degree, or a 3.5 GPA in the coursework comprising a master’s degree. Undergraduate coursework taken after the obtainment of a bachelor’s degree is not included in these calculations.
- An applicant whose GPA is below the levels stated above can be considered by taking and reporting the Graduate Record Exam (GRE). A combined score of 300 is preferred.
- Non-native speakers of English must submit a TOEFL score. A score of at least 550 is preferred.
- Three recommendations on organizational letterhead of the individual making the recommendation.
- An autobiography focused upon the professional career and objectives of the applicant. The autobiography should be double spaced and approximately four pages in length.
- A curriculum vita or a resume is preferred; however not required.
- For those individuals who have completed a master’s degree at Ohio University, a completed online application and statement of purpose form are all that are needed for the application.
- If you wish to complete the program with a Principal License, please check out our Educational Leadership with Licensure program.
For more information please contact:
Patton Hall 302L
Patton Hall 302P