An education record is any record, in any form or medium that is directly related to a student by way of personally identifiable information and is maintained by Ohio University or an agent acting on behalf of Ohio University.
Some types of information are not considered education records and are not protected by FERPA (although the information may be protected by other state and/or federal laws). These types of information not protected by FERPA include:
- Ohio University Police Department records,
- Employment records, except for those whose employment at Ohio University is tied to their status as a student,
- Notes made by and remaining in the sole possession of the maker,
- Ohio University medical and psychological records used only in connection with the provision of treatment of the student,
- Ohio University alumni records.