Charles J. Ping Recreation Center
Please note new COVID operations and protocol for the Ping Center
- There will be a capacity of 150 users in the facility. To view live usage numbers, please visit: https://recshop.ohio.edu/facilityoccupancy
- Patrons will enter through the left set of doors at the front of Ping and exit through the right (note the signs on the doors)
- Patrons will swipe their own ID cards
- Patrons fully vaccinated against Covid-19 are exempt from wearing masks and distancing in the facility. Unvaccinated patrons must wear a mask at all times and remain 6 feet apart from others.
- Day use lockers are available for use in the Cardio Room only.
- Showers are unavailable. No towels will be provided.
- We encourage you to bring your own water. Touch-less bottle fillers will be available, but water fountains will be offline.
- Restrooms and high touch points are cleaned and disinfected on an ongoing basis
- Do not share towels and wipes
- We request that you limit to one piece of equipment at a time and wipe down all equipment after use.
- The following equipment is available for rental at the Control Desk: Basketballs, racquetball racquets and balls, squash racquets and balls, volleyballs, soccer balls, badminton rackets and shuttlecocks.
- All equipment will be disinfected between uses.
The Charles J. Ping Recreation Center is a 168,000 square foot recreation facility, spanning 3 floors. Ping is home to a free standing, 36-foot tall, double-sided climbing wall, five basketball/volleyball courts, two multipurpose gymnasiums, an elevated four-lane indoor running track, six racquetball courts, free weight areas and two group fitness rooms that host combative sports, aerobic, fitness and dance classes.
Group Fitness Classes
Climbing Wall Hours
A strict ID policy is enforced when entering the Charles J. Ping Student Recreation Center. Everyone should be prepared to show their valid ID (i.e. Ohio University student or faculty/staff photo ID). No one will be permitted into an activity area of the Ping Center without proper ID — this includes students enrolled in academic classes. If a question arises as to the validity of the presented ID, a second form of ID may be required. A photo of an ID is not valid and will not be accepted.
Ping Members have one free forgiveness pass if they forget their OHIO ID (valid for one academic year), but must show a valid government photo identification to gain access. A photo of an ID is not valid and will not be accepted.