Charles J. Ping Recreation Center
Please note new COVID operations and protocol for the Ping Center
- There will be a capacity of 150 users in the facility. To view live usage numbers, please visit: https://recshop.ohio.edu/facilityoccupancy
- Patrons will enter through the left set of doors at the front of Ping and exit through the right (note the signs on the doors)
- Patrons will swipe their own ID cards, sanitize their hands and complete a self-assessment when entering the facility
- Users are required to wear a face mask in the facility at all times. If you become faint while exercising, stop the activity immediately, sit down and remove your face mask. If possible let a staff member know you need assistance
- Personal Training Pods
- 3rd Floor/Track
- Cycling Studio
- Day use lockers are available for use in the Cardio Room only.
- Showers are unavailable. No towels will be provided.
- Concessions and resale items are unavailable.
- We encourage you to bring your own water. Touch-less bottle fillers will be available, but water fountains will be offline.
- We will not be collecting lost and found
- Basketball hoops will be unavailable. Courts are open for non-contact physical activity.
- Restrooms and high touch points are cleaned and disinfected on an ongoing basis
- Do not share towels and wipes
- We request that you limit to one piece of equipment at a time and wipe down all equipment after use.
- All patrons are required to maintain a physical distance of 6 feet from others, including shared households
- No spotting will be permitted
The Charles J. Ping Recreation Center is a 168,000 square foot recreation facility, spanning 3 floors. Ping is home to a free standing, 36-foot tall, double-sided climbing wall, five basketball/volleyball courts, two multipurpose gymnasiums, an elevated four-lane indoor running track, six racquetball courts, free weight areas and two group fitness rooms that host combative sports, aerobic, fitness and dance classes.
Group Fitness Classes
Climbing Wall Hours
Monday - Thursday: 4 - 9 p.m.
Friday - Saturday: 3 - 6 p.m.
A strict ID policy is enforced when entering the Charles J. Ping Student Recreation Center. Everyone should be prepared to show their valid ID (i.e. Ohio University student or faculty/staff photo ID). No one will be permitted into an activity area of the Ping Center without proper ID — this includes students enrolled in academic classes. If a question arises as to the validity of the presented ID, a second form of ID may be required. A photo of an ID is not valid and will not be accepted.
Ping Members have one free forgiveness pass if they forget their OHIO ID (valid for one academic year), but must show a valid government photo identification to gain access. A photo of an ID is not valid and will not be accepted.
Child Access Policy
Children age 0-4 are not permitted in any areas of the Ping Center except the Business Office or on facility tour.
Children ages 5-15 are permitted in the facility with adult supervision during operational hours. Children ages 5-15 are not permitted on any fitness equipment or in the Functional Fitness Room, Weight Room, or cardio areas.
Children ages 16-17 are permitted in the facility without adult supervision during operational hours and are permitted on exercise equipment.
All children that are participating must purchase a day pass or membership to use the Ping Center.