Use of the Heritage College Mark
Student Policy: Use of Official University and College Marks
- Per OHIO policy, use of official university marks, including the Attack Cat, the Paw, and the Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine logo, by students is prohibited except with express written approval from the University Communications and Marketing for OHIO-related marks, and the Heritage College Communications Office for HCOM-related marks.
- Student organizations can create logos or identifying marks for their organizations that do not contain official university marks or the college name.
- Existing college or university logos may not be altered in any way, and new logos for the college cannot be developed.
- Students may request permission to use official university marks. Per OHIO policy, the university reserves the right to manage this usage and to review and approve all usage in advance. Official university marks can only be used when prior written approval has been obtained from the Heritage College Communications Office, which works with the OHIO Office of Legal Affairs to review and approve requests.
Requests must first be made to the Office of Student Affairs, and they will refer the request to the Communications Office. Please allow at least four weeks’ time for review. Requests should include the following:
- A description of the product and the promotion.
- The art for the item. It is helpful to see how the art is applied to the item.
- The duration of the promotion.
- Permissions to use the logo will not be reviewed without the above information.
- “Use of name” includes the use of the college's full name, Heritage College, OHIO, Ohio University and/or acronyms for the college such as OUHCOM, OU-HCOM and HCOM. Examples include:
- OUHCOM Student Osteopathic Medical Association
- Student Osteopathic Medical Association @OUHCOM
- OHIO Student Osteopathic Medical Association
- Student Osteopathic Medical Association at the Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine
- The university receives royalties for promotional items exhibiting official OHIO marks. Students wishing to create and/or sell a product using an official university mark for items meant to generate revenue for their group must ask for and obtain an exemption to pay royalties in addition to asking for permission to use official OHIO marks.
- Please note that for those with permission to use the logo but without an exemption, you must use an approved and licensed vendor for production. Ohio University Printing Services is the first place to contact for producing branded promotional items: Visit the Ohio University printing page or call 740.593.1930.
- See Exemption of Royalties Payment