Student Organizations Dublin
As the educational and scientific national society for Lifestyle Medicine practitioners, ACLM must promote and cultivate a national community of dedicated trainee leaders, who strive to promote health, treat disease, and innovate the practice of healthcare.This organization, as an interest group of ACLM, will strive to raise awareness of lifestyle medicine and promote the adoption of healthy lifestyles in the members of the Ohio University campus, Dublin community, and surrounding communities. This organization will do so through the implementation of a variety of fun, educational activities as chosen by the Lifestyle Medicine Club members.
$15, collected annually
Lifestyle Medicine (LM) is the use of lifestyle interventions in the treatment and management of disease. Such interventions include: diet (nutrition), exercise, stress management & mental wellness, smoking cessation, a variety of other non-drug modalities, and more. A growing body of scientific evidence has demonstrated that lifestyle intervention is an essential component in the treatment of chronic disease that can be as effective as medication, but without the risks and unwanted side effects. Thus, this organization provides a great service to the community, college, AND osteopathic profession as it embodies all that we stand for as future osteopathic physicians. The club aims to raise awareness about the importance of LM amongst students in medical school, with the hope that all of our future physicians will embody these principles in their future careers so that we can aim to make healthier communities overall.
Tentative Schedule for 2019-2020
- acupuncture again with SAAO
- weekly mindfulness activities with Erika throughout the semester
- community garden/possible involvement with Ethiopian Tewahedo Social Services & their activities
- scheduling more local talks instead of broadcast talks from elsewhere [i.e. cardiologist that talked to Women in Medicine this past year]
- one big meditation/healthy eating event in the fall open to all students!
- looking at opportunities to volunteer with Local Matters or the Healthy Living Center at Mount Carmel West
- affiliated with Local Matters -doing small things once a month - like handing out free healthy recipes
- creating a "quick healthy recipes" cook book & selling as a fundraiser
- doing other healthy eating "cook-offs" or bake offs as a fundraiser!