Student Organizations Dublin
As the educational and scientific national society for Lifestyle Medicine practitioners, ACLM must promote and cultivate a national community of dedicated trainee leaders, who strive to promote health, treat disease and innovate the practice of health care.
This organization, as an interest group of ACLM, will strive to raise awareness of lifestyle medicine and promote the adoption of healthy lifestyles in the members of the Ohio University campus, Dublin community and surrounding communities. This organization will do so through the implementation of a variety of fun, educational activities as chosen by the Lifestyle Medicine Club members.
Dues: $5 collected annually
Lifestyle Medicine is the use of lifestyle interventions in the treatment and management of disease. Such interventions include diet (nutrition), exercise, stress management & mental wellness, smoking cessation, other non-drug modalities and more. A growing body of scientific evidence has demonstrated that lifestyle intervention is an essential component in the treatment of chronic disease that can be as effective as medication, but without the risks and unwanted side effects. Thus, this organization provides a great service to the community, college and osteopathic profession as it embodies all that we stand for as future osteopathic physicians. The club aims to raise awareness about the importance of lifestyle medicine among students in medical school, with the hope that all of our future physicians will embody these principles in their careers so that we can aim to make healthier communities overall.
Tentative Schedule for 2020-2021
Lifestyle medicine lectures by Heritage College faculty and local lifestyle medicine-certified physicians
- Introduction to lifestyle medicine
- Lifestyle medicine and sleep
- Lifestyle medicine and the benefits of exercise
- Avoiding risky substances, addiction medicine practice (Partnered with Internal Medicine Club)
- Motivational interviewing
- Lifestyle modification implementation in family medicine practice (Partnered with Family Medicine Club)
- Urban Zen meditation sessions with Erika Niewald
- Attend local Walk with a Doc events in Columbus, OH
- Connect with Plantastic Columbus Interest Group events
- Explore community service events related to food access and nutrition
- Food pantry
- Local matters
Funding: The Lifestyle Medicine Club intends to finance these events through club member dues and grant funding from the American College of Lifestyle Medicine. The Lifestyle Medicine Club is applying to become an official Lifestyle Medicine Interest Group associated with ACLM. Becoming an LMIG under ACLM allows the club to apply for grant money to provide plant-based food at events.