Student American Academy of Osteopathy
Student Organizations Cleveland
The purpose of the SAAO is to help osteopathic medical students and allopathic students interested in osteopathic medicine:
- Acquire a better understanding of osteopathic principles, theories and practice to include:
- helping students attain a maximum proficiency in osteopathic structural diagnosis and treatment
- fostering a clear concept of clinical application of osteopathy in health and disease
- Improve public awareness of osteopathic medicine so the community may better take advantage of the benefits provided by osteopathic medicine
Dues: $70 collected annually
This organization, alongside the Family Medicine Club, organizes and hosts the annual med school gala.
In addition, this organization offers events to help students with OMM:
- A mock practical for students to practice the OMM final exam
- A review session for students to revisit OMM topics
SAAO has also hosted talks featuring osteopathic physicians in an effort to support the education and appreciation for OMM and the osteopathic profession.
SAAO has done philanthropic events in past. Last year's gala was also a fundraiser for the Cleveland Food Bank.
Schedule for 2020-2021
- D.O. speaker on COVID-19 OMM approach (organization funds)
- Trunk for Trunk-or-Treat (organization funds)
- Mock practical for 1st years
- Med school gala/prom (co-organized with Family Medicine Club; funded by donations and organization funds)
- D.O. speaker in spring semester (topic to be determined; organization funds)
- Participate/support Med Student for a Day event
- OMM review session