Student Association of American College of Osteopathic Family Physicians
Student Organizations Athens
The purpose of the SAACOFP is the promotion of family medicine as an area of practice for future physicians. It partners closely with the parent organization, ACOFP, which works to promote excellence in osteopathic family medicine through quality education, visionary leadership and responsible advocacy. The SAACOFP must promote the necessity of family medicine in the current medical landscape of the United States and give medical student members the tools needed to achieve their vocation as future family medicine physicians.
|Bela Bhatt-Koshal, D.O.|
The Athens SAACOFP organizes the annual Heritage Ball, provides clinical skills workshops, promotes family medicine's unique scope of practice, partners with other organizations to raise funds for worthy causes and plans various service projects.
Tentative Schedule for 2023-2024
- August - Organization Fair
- September - Welcome meeting and selection of a first-year liaison.
- October - Service event such as picking up trash around Court St. in Athens
- November - Primary Care clinic including a clinical skills lab with sutures, CTAC with difficult patients, and ultrasound experience.
- January - fundraiser (most likely a bake sale in the atrium of Heritage Hall) - Part of the earnings would go towards a charitable organization such as Rising Suns Pharmacy in Athens, but some of the funds would be allotted towards several E-board members and general club members to attend the ACOFP conference in April
- February - Heritage Ball (med prom will funded by the price of tickets as well as small donations from other student organizations)
- March - Family Physician Panel (this meeting would be held over Microsoft Teams and would give students the opportunity to ask family physicians about their journey through medical school and to get a snapshot of a day-in-the-life of a family doc)
- April - Officer Elections for the following school year
- ACOFP 61st Annual Convention & Scientific Seminars (April 4–7, 2024)