Master's in Higher Education Online
Program Code: ME6276
OHIO's Online Master’s in Higher Education program offers asynchronous online classes to complete in 5 semesters (30 credit hours) with a theory-to-practice model. It is designed for individuals who wish to advance their knowledge and skills while working within higher education settings. It’s also a perfect fit for those who want to transition into a career in higher education and student affairs administration because it’s designed for working professionals.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the outlook for careers in higher education administration is strong.
The program provides participants with a broad knowledge of the history, purposes, and contexts of higher education; leadership; organizational dynamics; the learning environment; and research concepts and methods. We will help our students:
- Receive and understand expert knowledge about American Higher Education, including
- History, purposes, and contexts of Higher Education
- Higher education management and leadership
- Organizational perspectives
- Teaching and learning
- Research concepts and methods
- Translate knowledge into excellent practice
- Promote the development of opportunity and diversity throughout higher education
Program Learning Objectives
At the end of the program, students will be able to
- comprehend relevant historical, organizational, governance, financial, diversity, policy, campus environments, and other contemporary issues concerning higher education.
- apply the necessary knowledge, theories, and methods to critically analyze and evaluate relevant higher education policy and conceptual and theoretical literature; and
- integrate theory and practice through course assignments and a capstone experience.
Curriculum and Requirements
The master's degree program in Higher Education provides basic knowledge about Higher Education and responds to a broad range of individual needs. Elective courses complement the student's program of study to correspond with the student's background and career aspirations. Candidates for the program must complete 30 credit hours. The Graduate Catalog provides an example of the curriculum for the master's degree program in Higher Education:
Tuition and Fees
Please check the Bursar's website (select OHIO Online) for the latest information.
Application and Admission Information
New students can begin the Masters in Higher Education online program at any time. Ohio University employees must apply early to allow time to complete the university's conflict of interest review.
Requirements for the application are:
- Completed OHIO Graduate Application and non-refundable application fee of $50
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is NOT required.
- Submission of official transcripts from bachelor's degree work and any institution from which graduate coursework was attempted, regardless of whether or not a degree has been or is being completed.
- Autobiographical Sketch/Personal Statement (2-3 pages, double-spaced)
The autobiographical sketch provides a sample of your writing. It should tell us about you as an applicant and address important factors in your life journey that have shaped your interest in Higher Education and brought you to apply to this program.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- A current resume or curriculum vitae.
Higher Education and Student Affairs
Patton Hall 432