Search within:

Counseling FAQs

How do I access services?

Please contact Counseling and Psychological Services (CPS) by calling (740) 593-1616 if you need to consult or if you would like to make an appointment. Visit our home page for information about our locations.

What services are available?

CPS offers a number of direct, clinical services, virtual treatment, and self-guided therapy and support programs. 



How do I make an appointment?

New Client?

Schedule an initial appointment by calling (740) 593-1616.

Previous Client?

Existing clients seeking to return to services after a break, schedule by calling (740) 593-1616.

What if my concerns are urgent?

If you need emergency care call 911, or the Ohio University Police Department at (740) 593-1911. 

If you are experiencing a crisis, you may speak with a counselor any time of day or night by calling the CPS phone number at (740) 593-1616.  

For more information, learn about crisis support.

What can I expect during the initial appointment?

Before the appointment

  • Complete intake paperwork and provide background information

During the appointment

  • Meet with a counselor for about 25 minutes
  • Share concerns, provide basic information about how you are functioning, and discuss options of care available to you. 
What happens after the initial appointment?

If during your initial appointment you and your counselor decide that continued counseling at CPS would be beneficial, your counselor will discuss available services including group therapy, single sessionsCoping Cafe, and individual therapy, either at CPS or in the community.   

If it was decided that you will benefit from individual therapy at CPS, you will be assigned to a first available counselor. If you request a specific counselor, it may take longer to be assigned depending on availability. Your assigned counselor will contact you to schedule the first appointment. 

If you are recommended to participate in group therapy, a group screening may be scheduled during the initial appointment. The counselor may recommend that you consider online therapy modulus such as WellTrack and Togetherall and other well-being services offered on campus. 

If your needs are different from what we can provide, we will help you find the most appropriate resources and facilitate a referral. 

Are services confidential?

Information shared in counseling is regarded by law as privileged communication, and with rare exceptions it cannot be disclosed to others without your explicit permission.

In other words, no one outside CPS, including faculty, parents, and administrators, has access to your records or what you discuss with your counselor. Nothing appears on your records elsewhere in the university, nor is information you disclose to a counselor disclosed to anyone unless you request and authorize it. In addition, what you talk about with your counselor will not be made a part of any of your record elsewhere in the University unless you request or authorize it.  

All of our counseling services are confidential with the rare exception of situations where a person poses an immediate and serious risk to self or to others. Also, Ohio state law requires that therapists report suspected cases of child or elder abuse, or the abuse of a disabled person. There may also be situations in which CPS is required to release records in order to comply with a court order. If you have concerns or questions about confidentiality or any other matter, please bring them up with your counselor. CPS is compliant with federal HIPAA regulations. All clients will be provided with a copy of our HIPAA-compliant privacy policy.

Does CPS provide medication? 

There are two psychiatric mental health nurse practitioners at Counseling and Psychological Services, working under the direction of a collaborating psychiatrist, who specialize in prevention, assessment, diagnosis, treatment of, and recovery from mental illness. If medication evaluation is necessary, your initial counselor or your assigned counselor will discuss with you the options of referral to one of our psychiatric mental health nurse practitioners, Campus Care, or a community provider.  

Learn more about psychiatric consultation.

When is CPS open? 

Our hours are weekdays from 8 a.m.–5 p.m.

Call (740) 593-1616 to consult or to make an initial appointment.

Should you require crisis support outside weekday hours call (740) 593-1616 and a counselor will assist you. During an emergency go to your local emergency room, call 911 or OUPD at (740) 593-1911. 

Does CPS write letters for Emotional Support Animals (ESA)? 

No, we do not provide documentation or letters of support for Emotional Support Animals (ESA).