Bobcat Student Orientation Transportation & Parking Information
Ohio University Transportation & Parking Services (TPS) would like to welcome all incoming students participating in Bobcat Student Orientation.
We look forward to finding transportation and parking solutions to meet your needs as you prepare for the upcoming school year. Below you will find a summary of our most commonly asked questions about our services. Should you have any other questions please contact our Customer Care Center (CCC) by phone at 740.593.1917, by text at 740.593.4040, or by email at email@example.com.
Where do I park during orientation?
On the date of your registered orientation session all guest should park in Convocation Center Lots 127/128/129. At the time of your arrival to the campus parking area a Bobcat Student Orientation staff member will greet you and provide a parking pass. This parking pass should be displayed on the dash of your vehicle for the duration of your stay.
Where can I find more information on my Bobcat Student Orientation program?
Detailed information regarding your scheduled Bobcat Student Orientation program can be found on the main Orientation website.
How do I apply/get a permit for Fall Semester?
Student permits are not available for purchase at this time. TPS will send an email communication with additional permit details in July alerting students when sales will begin. In order to purchase a permit, you will need to log into your parking portal and also be registered for classes at Ohio University. Fall 2024 permits will go on sale July 15, 2024 at 9AM for those with 30 or more completed credit hours residing in campus housing. Students with less than 30 completed credit hours and residing in campus housing will be eligible to purchase a permit beginning July 23, 2024 at 9AM. Student commuter permits will be available beginning July 29, 2024 at 9AM.
Do I have to pay upfront for my permit?
Yes, in order to purchase a parking pass, the total cost is due at the time of purchase. When ordering through your parking portal online, you will be prompted to use a debit or credit card.
Can freshman park on campus?
There is limited availability for freshman to park on campus and permits are sold on a first-come first-serve basis. In the event a student is not able to obtain an Ohio University campus parking permit they are able to add themselves to a waitlist, or find parking with off-campus vendors. For more information please contact the Customer Care Center.
How do I know what type of parking permit I am eligible for?
There are several parking options based on student credit hours and housing arrangements. The various permit options are listed below and also found on the transportation and parking website.
- Commuter- A commuter student is defined as a student who resides 1-mile or more from the nearest commuter parking lot on campus. Students residing inside this 1-mile radius are not permitted to purchase commuter parking and should utilize available transportation opportunities. To determine if your address is eligible for a commuter permit please contact TPS for additional guidance.
- Residential- A residential student is defined as a student residing in a university residence hall. Three permit categories are available for residential students.
- Guaranteed Surface Lot: Residential storage parking within dedicated overnight campus surface lots.
- Non-Guaranteed Surface Lot: Residential storage parking within specific campus surface lots- parking is shared with other facility users (faculty/staff & commuter students) and not guaranteed.
- Guaranteed Garage Lot: Residential storage parking within dedicated & covered overnight campus garage facilities.
- Reserved- Provides a reserved parking space in designated campus parking facilities.
- Baker University Center Garage
- Jefferson Garage (East Green)
- Lot 17 (Congress Street)
How do I purchase a permit?
All permits are purchased through the online parking portal. All permits are distributed by a third-party vendor and will be received through the mail.
What do I do if all permits are sold out?
Students will receive an email about permit sales and the exact date and time permits will go on sale. If all locations are sold out, view options for off campus locations. You are also able to put yourself on a waitlist and will be selected in the order requests are received.
What if I receive a permit for the Ridges but need access to my vehicle?
Please refer to transit options below.
Where can family or visitors park when they visit campus?
Dark green and purple lots open for public parking from 5:00 PM to 7:00 AM Monday - Friday and all day on Saturday and Sunday. Please carefully review lot signage to ensure no restrictions prior to parking due to campus events or lot closures. Hourly parking is available throughout campus via parking pay stations and meter devices. All fees must be paid when parking in an hourly parking space. Special parking accommodations are typically made around family event weekends. For more information please reference the TPS website for details closer to each event date.
OHIO parents and grandparents are eligible to obtain a free temporary visitor permit during their campus visit. Permits must be obtained in person at the Transportation & Parking Services Customer Care Center located on West Green at 100 Factory Street during business hours.
What transit options are available to me?
A variety of transportation options are available to students at no additional cost.
- CATS Daily Campus Shuttles- A free shuttle service for students, faculty/staff & visitors traveling to multiple destinations throughout campus. The service runs on dedicated routes Monday - Friday 7:30AM - 5:30PM during Fall & Spring Semesters. Service runs by request during Summer & Winter Break.
- CAT CAB- A free para-transit service to assist faculty/staff and students with mobility limitations. This service addresses the topography and parking challenges on campus by providing door-to-door transportation with fully accessible vehicles.
- CATS Late Night- Free on-demand transit service for students & faculty/staff providing a safe and secure method of travel across campus. This service is available during Fall & Spring Semester Monday-Friday 5:30PM - 11PM and Saturday - Sunday 6PM - 11PM.
- Bobcat Pass- This program is a partnership between Ohio University & HAPCAP which enables faculty/staff and students to ride Athens Public Transit (APT) routes free of charge utilizing their university ID. Riders simply present their valid university ID to bus drivers at designated APT routes for unlimited fare travel. Transit vehicles provide accessibility accommodations.
I have more questions, and need to speak to a Customer Care Center (CCC) member.
A CCC team member is available to answer questions and assist you via phone at 740-593-1917, text 740-593-4040, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org Monday-Friday 7:30am-4:30pm.
Our office is located at 100 Factory Street, Athens, OH 45701.
Transportation & Parking Services
100 Factory Street, Athens OH 45701
Follow us on Twitter: @OUTransParking
Office Hours: Monday- Friday 7:30 AM - 4:30 PM