Music Production and Recording Industry
The Music Production and Recording Industry (MPRI) program encourages you to explore major aspects of the modern and emerging music industry: the making of content and the management and business of music. Courses focus on:
- music technology
- technical skills in audio recording and music production
- producing for artists
- audio production and technology
- mixing and mastering music and audio
- artist development and songwriting
- music business
- music publishing and licensing
- music distribution and artist management
- production and business in the live event industry
- music industry entrepreneurship
You’ll round out your experience in Brick City Records, the student-run record label that doubles as a capstone course for MPRI majors. Put everything you’ve learned into action by signing new artists, recording and producing new releases, and creating marketing and promotional opportunities for artists.
Head to the annual conference in Austin, TX — the center of innovation and networking across industries
With experts in New York City (Michael Brauer) and Austin, TX (Jim Eno)
Music Industry Summit
OHIO's own music industry festival features major artists and business leaders
Nelsonville Music Festival
Gain production experience with the Emmy-nominated Gladden House Sessions
Work on the ground with staff to assist in the operations of the Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival
Intensive experience living and working in Hollywood's media and creative industries
Facilities and Resources
Where will this degree take you?
MPRI graduates find success across the music industry and elsewhere.
- From the music industry track, build a career as an artist or label manager, music supervisor, booking agent, A&R director, and more!
- The music production track prepares you for a career as a studio engineer, sound designer, DJ, session musician, music producer, and more!
- Our alumni have worked for Netflix, Warner Music Group, Sony Music, Universal Music Group, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Lincoln Center for the Arts, Mom + Pop Records, and Coachella.
- And MPRI grads have worked with artists like Metallica, Bon Iver, Run The Jewels, Young The Giant, Spoon, and Caamp.
Some of the courses you'll take include:
- MDIA 2300 – Music Production and Technology
- MDIA 3305 – Music Production: Mixing and Delivery
- MDIA 3306 – Business of Selling Music: Record Labels, Distribution, and Marketing
- MDIA 3307 – Music Publishing and Licensing for Media Productions
- CAPSTONE MDIA 4310 – Brick City Records