There are multiple scholarships available for undergraduate Media Arts and Studies students. The application process takes place during spring semester and scholarships are awarded in spring semester each year at the annual MDIA awards reception. See the MDIA Scholarship Instructions form for more information. Questions should be directed to the chair of the committee, Dr. Lawrence Wood.
The application deadline for 2023 MDIA scholarships is passed and the application is now closed.
- All scholarship applicants must complete the general Ohio University scholarship application available at the Financial Aid website. Click the link to the “2023-24 Online Scholarship Application” found on that page.
- Some of the school’s scholarships have a financial need requirement. To apply for those scholarships, you must have a current FAFSA on file at the Office of Student Financial Aid. For school scholarships that have the financial need requirement, the FAFSA must be on file by the Media Arts and Studies scholarship application deadline. A link to the 2023-24 FAFSA application can be found on the Financial Aid website.
- Students can apply for multiple scholarships awarded by the School of Media Arts and Studies. Make sure you meet the eligibility requirements for each scholarship for which you want to be considered.
- Scholarships offered by the Scripps College of Communication, such as the Don Perris Endowed Internship Scholarship and the Scripps Multimedia Scholarship, are not included on the MDIA application and must be applied for separately. Please contact staff in the Dean’s office for information about applying for college scholarships.
- Questions about Media Arts and Studies scholarships should be directed to the chair of the scholarship committee, Dr. Lawrence Wood.
Media Arts and Studies Scholarships
Leonard E. Auerbach Regional Representatives Scholarship
Awarded to a rising Junior or Senior. Preference is given to students with radio experience, such as with WOUB, ACRN, Brick City Records, etc. Students interested in a career in media advertising sales are also considered strong candidates for this award. To receive this award applicants must have demonstrated financial need as evident through FAFSA information on file with the Ohio University Office of Financial Aid.
Ralph J. Bitzer MDIA Opportunities Scholarship
Awarded to up to 12 students per year who have applied and been accepted, or are planning to apply, for a MDIA Global Opportunities course during the upcoming summer semester or the fall, spring, or summer semesters during the next academic year. Students must provide proof of acceptance in course before funds can be awarded. This scholarship is based on financial need but it does not require having FAFSA on file. Courses eligible for this award include, but are not necessarily limited to, OHIO-IN-LA; SXSW; OHIO Summer Screenwriting & Documentary Storytelling; Storytelling, Technology, and Digital Media in Theme Parks; MDIA Summer Music Industry Masterclass; MDIA Production Masterclass (Austin/NYC). Please note that other MDIA Global Opportunities courses may also qualify. For more information on these programs, please visit the Office of Global Opportunities website.
Robert L. Coe Memorial Scholarship
Must be a rising junior with a demonstrated interest in media management and/or media technology. Along with having these demonstrated interests, academic merit is the primary criterion by which applications will be evaluated, followed by financial need.
Patricia Cooper OHIO-in-LA Scholarship
Awarded to a student who is participating in the Ohio-in-LA program and has financial need.
Aaron Michael Cox Memorial Scholarship
Open to Music Production & Recording Industry majors enrolled in or accepted to admission to the university. Preference is given to underrepresented populations.
Mickey Franko Memorial Scholarship
Given to a rising senior active in radio/audio production and/or audio storytelling. Preference is given to students who have made positive contributions to the School of Media Arts & Studies.
Archie Greer Scholarship
Applicant must demonstrate academic merit. Preference is given to those contributing to ACRN.
Douglas Hill Memorial Scholarship
Awarded to an audio student involved in media work outside class. Preference is given to students with a demonstrated talent for writing, or in experimental or comedy forms. Demo CD or portfolio link should typically be submitted as part of this application.
Larry and Joann Katz Family Scholarship
Awarded to a student with involvement in WOUB, especially in athletic programming. Preference is also given to Ohio residents. This scholarship can be awarded to students in either Journalism or MDIA.
The Charlie and Becky Kendall Scholarship
Students must have demonstrated academic merit and demonstrate financial need as evident in current FAFSA information on file with the Ohio University Office of Financial Aid.
King Family Foundation Scholarship
Awarded to students with a focus on film, television, and related media/communication studies. Applicants must have demonstrated financial need as evident in current FAFSA information on file with the Ohio University Office of Financial Aid. Applicants can be enrolled in any major at the university.
John A. Luff Scholarship for Communication Technology
Open to students who have demonstrated intent to pursue a career in media and communication related technology, with a preference given to those considering a technology career in television, or the technology related to media production and/or content distribution. Preference will be given to applicants with a desire to learn new skills and techniques. Applicants should be members of the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE) and/or members of the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE) Ohio student chapter. Applicants must have demonstrated academic merit and demonstrate financial need as evident in current FAFSA information on file with the Ohio University Office of Financial Aid.
Lyon Family Scholarship for Media Arts and Studies
Preference is given to students majoring in Integrated Media Production. Applicant should have demonstrated academic merit and demonstrated financial need as evident in current FAFSA information on file with the Ohio University Office of Financial Aid.
Nationwide Foundation Scholarship
Awarded to rising juniors and seniors who have a confirmed or pending internship. The internship must be referenced in the applicant's personal statement. Must have a GPA of 2.5 or higher.
Phillip E. Schmidt Broadcasting Scholarship
Awarded to a rising Junior or Senior with at least a 3.2 GPA. Student should have some interest related to broadcasting. Must have demonstrated financial need as evident through FAFSA information on file with the Ohio University Office of Financial Aid.
Thomas H. Streich Memorial Scholarship
Recognizes the achievement of a junior or senior in the MPRI Sequence demonstrating promise and potential.
Christine T. Twardzik Memorial Scholarship
This scholarship is awarded to a rising senior and in honor of Christine T. Twardzik. Applicants must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher as well as demonstrated financial need as evident through current FAFSA information on file with the Ohio University Office of Financial Aid. This scholarship is to be awarded to students enrolled at the Athens Campus of Ohio University in the Scripps College of Communication School of Media Arts and Studies.
ACRN Charles Voge Scholarship
Applicant must be a participant in ACRN, have substantial impact on the student organization, and must have current FAFSA information on file with the Ohio University Office of Financial Aid.
Tyler Weymouth Memorial Scholarship
Awarded to a rising Junior or Senior who is involved in video production.
Ellen Woodward Memorial Scholarship
Awarded to a female student focusing on audio or radio production.
Jesse and Ruth Zousmer Scholarship
Awarded to a rising junior or senior based on academic achievement and financial need. Applicant must have current FAFSA information on file with the Ohio University Office of Financial Aid. This scholarship can be awarded to students in either Journalism or MDIA.
The Scripps College of Communication General Scholarship Fund
Awarded to a student with strong academic performance and financial need who makes outstanding contributions to the School of Media Arts & Studies. Applicant should have at least a 3.4 GPA and must have current FAFSA information on file with the Ohio University Office of Financial Aid.
The Haden DeRoberts Folk Fest Grant
One MDIA student will be awarded $1,500 to help develop and execute a live music and/or art event in the spring semester.
- Scholarship applicant must develop a music and/or art related, in person event for spring semester. The scholarship isn’t necessarily limited to hosting live music. It does however need to use music as a platform for a larger vision, which could include: broader community engagement, raising money for charitable causes, providing an outlet for creative expression (both creating & consuming art), etc.
- Event must take place within the current academic calendar year.
- Applicants will be assessed based on overall event impact, community engagement, innovation, and feasibility of the project.
- The scholarship shall be awarded to an individual, rather than a club, fraternity/sorority, or other on campus group.
- At the conclusion of the event, the student is to complete a 1-2 page summary (in the format of their choice) of the event and what they’ve accomplished.
- No GPA requirement, open to freshman through seniors.
- Financial need is not required for eligibility.
- Event Plan: Scholarship applicant must describe the intended event in detail, providing a 1-2 page plan for event execution. This should include a narrow timeframe for the event, a summary of total resources that will be required, and show awareness of logistical challenges ahead.
- Short Essay Component: Scholarship applicant must provide an essay answering the following questions:
- Question 1: What role does music play in your life and what do you want to do in the music industry?
- Question 2: What specific initiative do you intend to plan with the awarded funds, and what is your broader vision for what the event will accomplish?
There are a number of scholarships available to Media Arts & Studies students outside the School, including through the Scripps College of Communication. The list below is in no way comprehensive.
Don Perris Endowed Internship Scholarship
Awarded to students with secured internship with financial need, outstanding scholastic merit and extracurricular involvement. Preference given to students serving underserved groups/diverse populations. *Apply through Scripps College of Communication
Scripps Howard Multimedia Internship Support
Awarded to students with a secured multimedia internship. *Apply through Scripps College of Communication
Broadcast Education Association Scholarships
The BEA is the professional development association for professors, industry professionals and students involved in teaching and research related to radio, television, and other electronic media. The BEA administers fourteen scholarships annually, to honor broadcasters and the electronic media profession. The BEA Two Year Award is for study at member schools offering only freshman and sophomore instruction, or for use at a four-year member school by a graduate of a BEA two-year campus. All other scholarships are awarded to juniors, seniors and graduate students at BEA Member institutions. Local Contact: Dr. Greg Newton
Audio Engineering Society Educational Foundation Scholarships
The Audio Engineering Society Educational Foundation is dedicated to encouraging the entry of talented students into the profession of audio engineering. Since its establishment in 1984, the Foundation has awarded grants for graduate studies to hundreds of exceptional applicants, many of whom have gone on to prominent and successful careers in the profession. Applications are accepted from students worldwide, awards are made annually, in August, and a recipient may apply for one-time renewal after the successful completion of at least one year of graduate studies. Payment will be sent directly to the graduate school on behalf of the student's tuition account. Local Contact: Sophia Logston