Harris Student Support Center
Serving the students of the Scripps College of Communication
The Harris Student Support Center is made possible by a generous gift from Leon and Dawn Harris, both 1983 graduates of the Ohio University Scripps College of Communication.
Our staff focuses on providing students with holistic one-on-one advising and building relationships with students to foster academic success. One of our goals is to provide intensive support for at-risk students and students on academic probation.
What will you gain from academic advising?
- Informed guidance that will assist you as you make decisions about your academic goals.
- An understanding of campus resources and academic programs.
- Skills such as reading your DARS, using the Online Undergraduate Catalog, and using the online tools available to you for degree planning.
- An understanding of opportunities available to you that will enhance your academic experience—internships, campus involvement opportunities, etc.
Where do I go if I need to... ?
The Harris Student Support Center (Appointment Needed):
- Get help with internships, resumes or job search: Email Karen Peters at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Schedule a graduation check (First two weeks in fall & spring semesters, 9-11 a.m. and 1-3 p.m.; evening hours may also be offered.)
- Ask questions about my DARS
- Approve education abroad courses (Bring paperwork from Global Opportunities & paper copy of courses/descriptions you plan to take): Email Greg Moeller at email@example.com
- Get permission to take a class pass/fail: Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Complete a Satisfactory Academic Progress form: Email email@example.com
- Petition for reinstatement after academic dismissal: Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Withdraw from classes on or after the first day of classes
- Receive academic probation or advising to improve your GPA: Email scripps-success@ ohio.edu
- Add a course after the second week of classes (Must have green permission slip from instructor.)
- Take classes at another university/transfer credit evaluation questions: Email email@example.com
- Ask about Don Perris and Scripps Howard Internship Scholarships: Email Karen Peters at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Get permission to take more than 20 credit hours (Academic advisor MUST first send email to email@example.com with max hours permitted.)
- Apply for a tuition appeal Tuition Appeal Form, Medical Documentation Form & Info: Email Greg Moeller at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Add OR drop a certificate
- Add OR drop a minor (Exceptions: If you declared a minor in dance or film, go to Jennings House first.)
- Change to a different sequence/major within my school
- Declare or change related area (COMS), corollary (MDIA), specialization (JOUR, VICO), or area of concentration (ITS)
- Change my advisor
- Earn internship credit
- Get permission to take more than 20 credit hours: Advisor must send email to email@example.com with MAX hours you are permitted BEFORE you go to the Harris Student Support Center for the permission form.
- Lift my registration hold
- Substitute or waive major or college requirements on my DARS Note: Tier I, Tier II & Tier III requirements cannot be waived nor substitutions made.
Our Schools & Contact Info
School of Communication Studies
Schoonover 400 | 740.593.4842
J. Warren McClure School of Emerging Communication Technologies
Schoonover 360 | 740.593.4890
E.W. Scripps School of Journalism
Schoonover 200 | 740.593.2539
School of Media Arts & Studies
Schoonover 300 | 740.593.4860
School of Visual Communication
Schoonover 250 | 740.593.4898
Additional Student Resources
- The OHIO Guide: Our Academic Experience [book]: www.ohio.edu/uc/bso
- Ohio University Counseling and Psychological Services. Located in Hudson Health Center, provides professional counselors for personal or emotional concerns.
- Find additional resources at www.ohio.edu/students.