Adaptive Equipment & Software
Visually impaired patrons as well as patrons with a learning disability may use the G. Lynn Shostack Adaptive Equipment Room in the Learning Commons (2nd Floor) of Alden Library. Research databases and the Internet are searchable on these computers. The computers are equipped with a scanner and a Braille printer.
- EdnaLite enlarger with color enhancement is available in the newspaper area on the 4th floor.
- Bierley handheld electronic magnifier can be checked out at the 2nd Floor Service Desk for use on the Bierley software installed on both computers in the room.
- Microphone headsets may also be borrowed from the 2nd Floor Service desk for use in the library.
Alden Library PC’s running Microsoft Windows have the following software:
- TextHelp Read and Write Gold: Software that assists with reading, writing, and studying. Includes screen reader and research tools. TextHelp Quick Start Guide [PDF].
Additionally, the computers in the Adaptive Equipment Room on the Learning Commons (2nd Floor) have the following software:
- Dragon Naturally Speaking: Converts speech to text and enables for some maneuvering through programs with the use of speech commands. Dragon User Guide [PDF].
- Duxbury Translation Software: Imports files from Microsoft Word, WordPerfect, SGML, ICADD, HTML, plain text, or Braille text. Translates documents into braille documents that can then be sent to the Romeo Brailler, also located in the Shostack Room. Duxbury Producers Manual [PDF].
- JAWS : Screen reader that allows for computer navigation through the use of keystrokes. JAWS Quick Start Guide [PDF].
- Open Book: Converts printed or electronic text into a format that can then be converted to audio using text-to-speech. Open Book User Guide [PDF].
- ZoomText: A magnifier that enlarges images or text on the computer monitor up to 16x. ZoomText Quick Reference Guide [PDF].
More details about the equipment and software available in the Shostack Adaptive Technology Room [PDF].
For more information about the Libraries’ services for persons with disabilities, contact Christopher Guder at (740) 597-1975 or firstname.lastname@example.org.