Open Access & Open Educational Resources
Understand Open Access and Open Educational Resources
- Open Access 101 (Video)
- Open Access Explained! (Video)
- Open Access Directory
- Open Access Scholarly Information Sourcebook (OASIS)
- Open Education Group
- Open Education Research Hub (OER Hub)
Find Open Textbooks and Open Educational Resource with these Discovery Tools
- OASIS (Openly Available Sources Integrated Search) includes the ability to limit search results by license, type, subject, source, and reviews available.
- Mason OER Metafinder searches sixteen collections of open resources in real-time, returning the top several hundred or so relevant hits from each site.
- Open Professionals Education Network links to discovery tools for open textbooks, photos, video, audio, and more.
- Open Textbook Library is a growing catalog of free, peer-reviewed, and openly-licensed textbooks.
- MERLOT II a searchable database of tens of thousands of discipline-specific learning materials, learning exercises, and Content Builder web pages, together with associated comments, and bookmark collections.
- Open Stax College includes open textbooks for high enrollment college courses using the Connexions platform.
- Open Educational Resources (OER) Commons – open teaching and learning materials including full university courses, interactive mini-lessons, simulations, and electronic textbooks.
- Open Course Library – Textbooks, syllabi, assessments for 81 high-enrollment college courses created by a Washington State Board for Community & Technical Colleges (SBCTC) grant.
- Teaching Commons – Curated by librarians and their institutions, the Teaching Commons includes high-quality open educational resources such as textbooks, course materials, lesson plans, multimedia, and more. Discover content by type of work or subject.
- Open Book Publishers – a scholar operation committed to making high-quality research available to readers around the world, including a growing collection of monographs and textbooks in all areas.
More Open Access Discovery Tools for Articles, Journals, Books, Theses, Dissertations, Multimedia and Data
- Digital Commons Network
- Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ)
- Directory of Open Access Books (DOAB)
- The OAIster Database
- Streaming Media on the Internet
- OhioLINK Electronic Theses and Dissertations Center
- Open Access Theses and Dissertations
- OpenDOAR Directory of Open Access Repositories
- Registry of Open Access Repositories (ROAR)
- Registry of Research Data Repositories
- ROAD – Directory of Open Access Scholarly Resources
- OHIO Open Library
Make Your Own Content Open
- Contact us to see how we can support your OER creation project.
- Considering joining a community of instructors creating their own content: Rebus Community Forum
- Creating, Editing & Hosting OER: Kirkwood’s Community College’s excellent guide to helpful tools.
- Jhangiani R. and Biswas-Diener, R., eds. (2017). Open: The Philosophy and Practices that are Revolutionizing Education and Science. London: Ubiquity Press.
- Falldin, M. and Lauritsen, K. (2017). Authoring Open Textbooks. Minneapolis, MN: Open Textbook Network – Includes a checklist of considerations and sections on copyright, Creative Commons licenses, textbook organization, authoring frameworks, and publishing tools.
- Moxley, J. (Sept – Oct, 2013). Open textbook publishing. Academe. – the story of one instructor’s decision to create an open textbook.