OGO Language Immersion Scholarship
Office of Global Opportunities Foreign Language Immersion Scholarship can be used for participation on OHIO International programs and other approved credit-bearing study away programs that are at least two weeks in duration. Preference will be given to programs that are four weeks or longer.
- Must be enrolled at Ohio University as a full-time degree-seeking graduate or undergraduate student in good academic standing.
- Must be applying or accepted to a credit-bearing study away program sponsored by OHIO or another accredited institution.
- US citizens, permanent residents and international undergraduate OHIO students are encouraged to apply.
- Must be enrolled in at least one foreign language course or course taught in the foreign language during the program. Preference given to applicants taking a course load made up predominately of language courses or courses taught in the foreign language.
Preference will be given to applicants who are studying in non-traditional locations (outside of Western Europe, Oceania and North America), except in those cases where the foreign language isn't widely spoken outside of these locations.
*Note this application must be completed in one login session. Your changes will not be saved if you log out before you submit. Read the instructions carefully to make sure you have the required information and materials before you proceed.
- Personal Statement - addressing the following essay prompts -
- What are your motivations for learning or improving your foreign language skills by studying abroad?
- How will you improve your language proficiency in and out of the classroom while abroad?
- How do you intend to use the language after your study abroad experience?
- One Reference - You are also required to submit a letter of reference from a faculty member who can speak to how you will benefit from your chosen global experience. Your reference should submit their letter via email to: email@example.com. It is your responsibility to ensure that the required reference letter is received by the Office of Global Opportunities by the scholarship deadline.
- Estimated Program Cost - You are also required to submit a cost estimate for your intended program. You may upload a Student Budget Worksheet from your OHIO study away program or estimated costs from a provider program. Alternatively you can download the OGO Budget creation form here: https://goo.gl/jsZZvZ. If you have any questions about this requirement please contact the Office of Global Opportunities to work with an advisor.
You will be asked to upload your essay and estimated program cost in the application. Please prepare both documents before proceeding.
The $1,000 award is intended to defray the cost of travel associated with global opportunity programs.
The award will be directly applied to students' OHIO accounts during the term in which the awardee is scheduled to travel.
Application deadline for summer 2020, fall semester 2020, and academic year 2020-21 programs:
- Saturday, February 15, 2020 at 11:59pm.
Application deadline for winter break, spring semester & spring break programs 2019-20:
- Tuesday, October 1, 2019 at 11:59pm.