OGO Language Immersion Scholarship
Office of Global Opportunities Foreign Language Immersion Scholarship can be used for participation on OHIO International programs and other approved credit-bearing study away programs that are at least two weeks in duration. Preference will be given to programs that are four weeks or longer.
- Must be enrolled at Ohio University as a full-time degree-seeking graduate or undergraduate student in good academic standing.
- Must be applying or accepted to a credit-bearing study away program sponsored by OHIO or another accredited institution.
- US citizens, permanent residents and international undergraduate OHIO students are encouraged to apply.
- Must be enrolled in at least one foreign language course or course taught in the foreign language during the program. Preference given to applicants taking a course load made up predominately of language courses or courses taught in the foreign language.
Preference will be given to applicants who are studying in non-traditional locations (outside of Western Europe, Oceania and North America), except in those cases where the foreign language isn't widely spoken outside of these locations.
Read the instructions carefully to make sure you have the required information and materials before you proceed.
- Short Essay Prompts - All Applicants
- Tell us about yourself (This is a chance for the scholarship committee to get to know you. You may want to identify how you fit the scholarship criteria).
- Describe your prospective global experience (study, intern, volunteer, or research experience on site or virtually) and what factors led you to select this opportunity and the length of the experience.
- Why do you want to participate on your selected global experience (Please consider the following questions: what do you hope to gain, how does your experience fit into your future academic and professional plans, how will your experience allow you to share your experience with the OHIO community and/or the world)
- Short Essay Prompts - Language Immersion applicants
- What are your motivations for learning or improving your foreign language skills by studying abroad?
- How will you improve your language proficiency in and out of the classroom while abroad?
- How do you intend to use the language after your study abroad experience?
- One reference - You are also required to submit a letter of reference from someone who knows you personally, professionally, or academically (not a friend or relative), speaking to how you will benefit from your chosen international experience. Please download the OGO Scholarship Reference Guide and include it in your email to your reference, as it containing helpful information for your reference writer. Your reference should submit their letter via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. It is your responsibility to ensure that the required reference letter is received by the Office of Global Opportunities by the deadline.
- Estimated Program Cost - You are also required to submit a cost estimate for your intended program. You may upload a Student Budget Worksheet from your OHIO study away program or estimated costs from a provider program. Alternatively you can download the OGO Budget creation form here: https://bit.ly/budgetcreationform. If you have any questions about this requirement please contact the Office of Global Opportunities to work with an advisor.
For an overview of the questions in the application system, please click here.
The $1,000 award is intended to defray the cost of travel associated with global opportunity programs.
The award will be directly applied to students' OHIO accounts during the term in which the awardee is scheduled to travel.
- Summer 2021, Fall 2021, and Academic Year 2021-2022 Programs
- This award is not available for summer 2021, fall semester 2021, or academic year 2021-22 programs.
- Winter Break, Spring Semester, and Spring Break Programs: October 15, 2021 at 11:59pm (application to open August/Sept)
The OGO Language Immersion Scholarship is now part of the OGO Common Application for scholarships. Through the common application, OHIO students will be able to apply for multiple scholarships in one place. For an overview of the questions in the application system, please click here. If you have any questions please reach out to email@example.com or schedule a drop in appointment here.