Search within:

Funding Your Experience

The basics

In many cases, your financial aid can “travel with you“ and be used to assist with the costs of your study away program. The types of aid you are eligible to receive varies, but may include scholarships, grants, and loans. Eligibility depends on the type of global opportunity you choose, the term in which you travel, and the number of credit hours you will earn.

To be considered for federal, state, and institutional aid, you should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). 

Scholarships are awarded for academic achievement and/or financial need and do not have to be repaid. Common scholarships include OHIO Signature Awards (such as OHIO Promise) and others, like the Templeton or Cutler Scholarship.

Grants are often called “gift aid,” because they do not have to be repaid. Grants are often need-based and awarded from the U.S. Department of Education and state government programs. A common federal grant is the Pell Grant. 

Loans are funds you borrow and must pay back with interest. Student loans can come from the US Department of Education or private sources, such as a bank or financial institution. You or your parents/guardians may be able to increase your loan amounts to cover additional expenses related to your global program.

Once you choose your global program, you should schedule an appointment with the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships in Chubb 020 to learn more about how you can apply your existing funding package to a global program. Be sure to bring a student budget worksheet (Ohio Credit, Exchange Programs) or signed Alternative Budget Worksheet (Non-OHIO Programs) to your meeting. For more information, contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships at or 740.593.4141.