Who needs to register?
You are required to register if your university-related travel meets at least one of the following conditions:
- Is beyond 100 miles of the Ohio University campus of departure (to determine distance from campus of departure, see FAQ below);
- Includes an overnight stay (the departure of travel begins on one calendar day and ends on another); OR
- The travel is to another state.
University-related travel encompasses a variety of activities. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Travel for University credit;
- Travel that fulfills a degree requirement, including, but not limited to, internships, field studies, research and service learning;
- Travel supported by University funding, including, but not limited to, scholarships, grants, endowments, financial aid;
- Credit-bearing and non-credit bearing international and domestic study away administered by the University;
- International or domestic study away programs undertaken for transfer credit;
- Travel with or organized by a University faculty or staff member;
- Travel in support of or as part of a University research or creative activity;
- Professional development opportunities, including, but not limited to, conference attendance and networking events sanctioned by a University unit;
- Travel organized by student organizations, including club sports and intramural teams.
This policy does not cover personal travel such as vacation. The policy also excludes student travel to athletic or other events unless travel is sponsored by a University unit or a student organization.
Students traveling on an Ohio-Credit, Exchange, or Non-OHIO program through the Office of Global Opportunities will not need to complete the travel registration as it is already part of your program application.
Failure to comply with the Travel Policy may result in judicial sanctions.
If you are unsure if your travel requires registration, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
How Do I Register?
Travel registration is a 2-step process. It should be completed at least 1 week prior to departure. For international travel, please register at least 3 weeks in advance of travel and see additional information note below.
STEP 1: COMPLETE THE TRAVEL REGISTRATION IN THE OGO STUDENT PORTAL
Start your Travel Registration in the OGO Student Portal
To complete the Travel Registration, you will need to know the following:
- Name and email of trip organizer, if any
- Purpose/Name of trip
- Dates of travel
In addition, you will need to submit the following information prior to departure. This information should be submitted when completing the Travel Registration. If you have to submit or update information at a later time, you may send it to email@example.com:
- Address of Accommodation during your travel
- A cell phone number where you can be reached during your travels
- A copy of your flight itinerary (if flying) or other transportation details
- For international travelers, a copy of your passport's photo page
STEP 2 - Enroll in International SOS MyTrips: After you complete the Travel Registration in the OGO Student Portal, you must set up your International SOS MyTrips account, download the International SOS Assistance App, and add your travel itinerary.
Additional Information for International Travel
If traveling internationally, please be sure you are in compliance with the Travel Policy. You will need to:
Travel Registration is not required for individuals participating on an OHIO Credit Study Abroad/Study Away Program OR students who are required to submit Global Experience Transfer Credit Approval Paperwork including exchange programs, affiliated study abroad providers, non-OHIO study abroad/study away programs where you will receive transfer credit. Travel registration for those travel experiences is incorporated into the application and checklist processes.