What is the purpose of Travel Registration?
Welcome to Ohio University Student Travel Registration. This page will help you understand university requirements included in the Student Travel Policy (22.001).
The Office of Global Opportunities (OGO) provides global assistance to travelers through emergency communication and international health insurance. The travel registration process ensures that OGO can effectively support student travelers in case of incidents or emergency while traveling.
Emergency Communications - Your travel registration enables Ohio University to reach you in the event of an emergency, regardless of where you are at in the world. Through our partnership with International SOS, we monitor travel destinations (domestic and abroad) and will send alerts to registered travelers when emergency situations arise.
International Health Insurance - For students traveling internationally, travel registration includes international health insurance coverage. By providing travelers access to our comprehensive plan, OHIO can provide consistent support when medical and health services are needed abroad.
Want to learn more? Check out OGO's Health and Safety page.
Who needs to register?
You will need to register if your university-related travel meets at least one of the following conditions:
- Is beyond 100 miles of the Ohio University campus of departure (to determine distance from campus of departure, see FAQ below);
- Includes an overnight stay (the departure of travel begins on one calendar day and ends on another); OR
- The travel is to another state.
University-related travel encompasses a variety of activities. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Travel for University credit;
- Travel that fulfills a degree requirement, including, but not limited to, internships, field studies, research and service learning;
- Travel supported by University funding, including, but not limited to, scholarships, grants, endowments, financial aid;
- Credit-bearing and non-credit bearing international and domestic study away administered by the University;
- International or domestic study away programs undertaken for transfer credit;
- Travel with or organized by a University faculty or staff member;
- Travel in support of or as part of a University research or creative activity;
- Professional development opportunities, including, but not limited to, conference attendance and networking events sanctioned by a University unit;
- Travel organized by student organizations, including club sports and intramural teams.
This policy does not cover personal travel such as vacation. The policy also excludes student travel to athletic or other events unless travel is sponsored by a University unit or a student organization.
Students traveling on a program arranged through the Office of Global Opportunities will not need to complete the travel registration as it is already part of your program application.
Failure to comply with the Travel Policy may result in judicial sanctions.
If you are unsure if your travel requires registration, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
How Do I Register?
Travel registration is a 2-step process. It should be completed at least 1 week prior to departure. For international travel, please register at least 3 weeks in advance of travel and see additional information note below.
STEP 1: COMPLETE THE TRAVEL REGISTRATION
Start your Travel Registration here: https://ohiouniversityglobal.force.com/ogo/
To complete the Travel Registration, you will need to know the following:
- Name and email of trip organizer
- Purpose of trip
- Dates of travel
In addition, you will need to submit following information prior to departure. This information should be submitted when completing the Travel Registration. If you have to submit or update information at a later time, you may send it to email@example.com:
- Address of Accommodation during your travel
- A cell phone number where you can be reached during your travels
- A copy of your flight itinerary (if flying)
- For international travelers, a copy of your passport's photo page
STEP 2 - REGISTER FOR MyTrips: After you complete the Travel Registration, you must set up your MyTrips account and add your travel itinerary.
Domestic Student Travel During the COVID-19 Pandemic
Students may participate in university-sponsored domestic travel.
Travel increases the risk of getting or spreading COVID-19. In addition to following the requirements described in Policy 22.001: Student Travel, students planning domestic travel should follow Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines for domestic travel.
The CDC provides travel recommendations for all travelers, regardless of vaccination status, but advises that individuals who are not fully vaccinated against COVID-19 delay travel until fully vaccinated. Those travelers who are not fully vaccinated should take additional steps to protect themselves and others from COVID-19, including testing before travel, masking during travel, and testing and quarantining after returning home.
OHIO students traveling domestically also should consider the following factors when making travel plans:
Additional Information for International Travel
If traveling internationally, please be sure you are in compliance with the Travel Policy. You will need to:
Travel Registration is not required for individuals participating on an OHIO Credit Study Abroad/Study Away Program OR students who are required to submit a Foreign Study Checklist including exchange programs, affiliated study abroad providers, non-OHIO study abroad/study away programs where you will receive transfer credit. Travel registration for those travel experiences is incorporated into the application and checklist processes.
International Travel and Required COVID-19 Risk Review
Students traveling internationally must seek approval through the Study Away Risk Assessment Committee (SARAC) process. This includes student international travel for all independent, university-affiliated experiences such as internships, research, exchange, volunteer, clinicals, work, trainings, and conferences. It is recommended that travelers submit their travel requests no later than three months prior to travel.
Student Travel Registration FAQ