Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship
Overview of the Gilman International Scholarship
The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship is a nationally-competitive award sponsored by the U.S. Department of State. This scholarship aims to broaden the student population that studies and interns abroad by supporting undergraduates who might not otherwise participate due to financial constraints and is open to Pell-eligible undergraduate students.
For more information about this award and the support available to OHIO students looking to apply, please watch this informational video from the September 16, 2021 informational session hosted by OGO and ONCA.
Intended program must meet all eligibility criteria for the Gilman International Scholarship:
- must be a credit-bearing study abroad or internship experience;
- must take place in a country or area with an overall Travel Advisory Level 1 or 2, according to the U.S. Department of State's Travel Advisory System;
- may take place in multiple destinations.
- Virtual international programs and internships are eligible until Summer 2022.
- If the country where you choose to study abroad is at a Level 3 or 4 due to COVID-19 at the time of application, the Gilman program will still review your application. In the event that an applicant is selected for the Gilman Scholarship and if the destination country is still at a Level 3 or 4, even if only due to COVID-19, before the program starts, then the recipient will be required to change their program location.
- Must be an undergraduate, degree-seeking OHIO student applying for participation in a study abroad program for academic credit.
- Must receive the federal Pell Grant at the time of application or provide proof that you will receive the grant at the time of participation.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
Award amounts can vary greatly, up to $5,000.
Please see the Gilman website for all upcoming deadlines and timeline: https://www.gilmanscholarship.org/applicants/deadlines-and-timeline/
October Deadline: Gilman International Scholarship Application deadline for programs beginning between December 1, 2021, to October 31, 2022. This cycle encompasses Spring 2022, Summer 2022, Fall 2022, and Academic Year 2022-2023 programs:
- Tuesday, October 5, 2021
March Deadline: Gilman International Scholarship Application deadline for programs beginning between May 1, 2022, to April 30, 2023. This cycle encompasses Summer 2022, Fall 2022, and Academic Year 2022-2023, and Spring 2023 programs:
- Tuesday, March 8, 2022
Gilman Incentive Grant for OHIO Students
The Gilman Incentive Grant provides additionally financial support to Gilman-eligible students who have submitted a complete Gilman Scholarship application by the deadline. This award is intended to defray the cost of travel associated with participation on a Gilman-eligible program; awardees will receive up to $1,000.The award will be directly applied to students' OHIO accounts during the term in which the awardee is scheduled to travel. Note: Applicants do not need to receive the Gilman scholarship in order to receive the Gilman Incentive Grant. They must, however, participate on the study abroad experience outlined in their Gilman application. Additionally, students may only receive one Gilman Incentive Grant during their undergraduate career at Ohio University.
Applicants will only be considered if they meet all eligibility requirements for the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship and submit a complete Gilman Scholarship application by the October 5, 2021 deadline.
In addition, applicants must:
- Participate in application essay review with Catherine Marshall or Chris Lewis no later than Friday, October 1 at 5:00 pm.
- Meet with Financial Aid certifier Hannah Mathson no later than Friday, October 1 at 5:00 pm.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment.
- Have their applications certified as accurate and complete during the advisor certification period.
Once a student has met the above criteria, they will directly be emailed a link to apply for the Gilman Incentive Grant.
Interested in the Gilman but not ready to travel just yet?
Sign up to be added to our Gilman student list via this Qualtrics form: https://ohio.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_8jPHc7uGZ8EuJaC
This will allow us to ensure you're getting updates for Gilman Info Sessions and Writing Workshops as they come up.