Bioinformatics & DNA Tools
Modern molecular biology is impossible without access to the tools needed for everything from basic sequence management software and primer calculators to informatics databases and reference managers.
This page serves as an ever-growing repository of some of the most necessary DNA tools that the Ohio University Genomics Facility is aware of, and it will continue to grow as new and better resources become available.
Publication and Sequence Databases
- National Center for Biotechnology Information
- The National Center for Biotechnology Information is run by the National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health. This database includes sequence information (Genome, Gene, SNP, etc.), experimental data (GEO, BioSystems, ClinVar, etc.), software (BLAST, COBALT, OSIRIS, etc.), literature (PubMed, MeSH database, Bookshelf, etc.), and much more.
- A good place to start is the NCBI handbook and their training and tutorials.
- European Bioinformatics Institute
- The European Bioinformatics Institute is the European counterpart to NCBI
- Joint Genome Institute
- The Joint Genome Institute is run by the Department of Energy and has a huge suite of Data and Tools for finding sequences, genomes, proteomes, and many cross-referenced databases for assembly of large sets of information.
- Ohio University Library
- The Ohio University Library has access to a large number of peer reviewed journals and several large publication databases.
Sequence Management and Manipulation Software
- CLC Genomics Workbench
- CLC Sequence Viewer
- The slimmed down version of CLC. Capable of basic sequence manipulation and viewing. Most analysis and files created in Workbench are viewable in Sequence Viewer.
- A huge directory of bioinformatics tools, databases, and other resources.
- IDT Oligo Analyzer
- Primer design tool for calculating the melt temp, GC content, dimerization, and other characterization of primers
- IDT also maintains tools for Primer design for qPCR experiments
- Workflow design for automating analysis of large datasets and batches
- Quick Calculators
- A set of calculators for quick use in statistics, data simulation, molarity calculators, and many more.