Sponsored Student Responsibilities
Ohio University, sponsored students, and their sponsors all share a responsibility of timely notification, invoicing, and payment of an account balance.
Sponsored Student's Responsibilities
- It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that the University is provided with a valid authorization letter (contract) from their sponsor, prior to the due date on the student account to avoid late payment fees and financial holds.
- A sponsored student must monitor their student account status regularly. If the sponsor does not cover the total charges, it is the student’s responsibility to pay the balance owed.
- It is the student’s responsibility to know the duration of the sponsorship as listed in the authorization letter. The University will not notify a student when the sponsorship has expired.
- In the event of course drops or withdrawals, it is the student’s responsibility to notify the Office of the Bursar so that any corrections to the sponsor invoice amount can be made timely.
- Additional information required by the sponsor, including grades, transcripts, course(s) and other miscellaneous information, must be supplied by the student.
- If questions arise concerning conditions of the sponsorship, the student should contact the sponsor, not Ohio University.
- Non-payment by the sponsor, for whatever reason, becomes an immediate liability to and the responsibility of the student.
- Provide a letter or contract to Ohio University prior to the term start date with the following information:
- Student’s name and University ID number
- Description of covered charges, which may include tuition, technology fee, course fees, room/meal plan charges, student legal services fee, and/or health insurance fees
- Any dollar limitations on the covered charges
- If the student's scholarship or grant awards should be deducted before invoicing
- Length of sponsorship – beginning and ending dates of period, specific term(s) and/or academic year(s), other
- Sponsor’s billing address
- Sponsor contact person information including name, telephone number, fax number and email address
- Sponsor should only make payment from the University invoice, not the student’s bill.
- Sponsor shall mail payment to the provided address. Payment is due in full upon receipt of invoice notice.
- Sponsor will pay all enrollment adjustments on a student’s account for the term authorized, when applicable.
Ohio University's Responsibilities
- The Office of the Bursar will review authorization letters (contracts) upon receipt and will certify eligible students. When presented prior to deadlines, this process will apply a third party credit for the covered expenses and avoid student account late payment fees.
- The Office of the Bursar will invoice the sponsor for the authorized charges. The invoice will state the student’s name and the total allowable charges.
- Any refund resulting from an adjustment to the student’s account after sponsor payment will be returned to the sponsor.
- The Office of the Bursar will attempt to comply with a sponsor’s particular invoice requirements, but this is not guaranteed and is based upon system limitations.
- The Office of the Bursar will charge back to the student’s account any charges resulting from non-payment of sponsored charges by the sponsor.