Supervisory Skills Pathway
This Pathway is designed to build specialized knowledge and skills to help participants:
- Identify role of supervisor and respond to key challenges associated with supervising people.
- Actively engage teams in problem-solving and workplace improvement opportunities
- Clarify expectations, provide feedback, and build coaching relationships.
- Actively listen to and effectively communicate with others.
- Navigate challenges and effectively transition to new leadership roles.
Core Courses (all 8 courses are required)
Using Active Listening in Workplace Situations
Performance Mgt. Fundamentals OR Performance Mgt. for Non-Supervisors
Intercultural Competence, Overcoming Unconscious Bias in the Workplace, OR Search Committees - Preparing for Search
Effectively Directing and Delegating as a Manager
Facing Management Challenges of Difficult Behavior and Diverse Teams
Developing Successful Coaching Relationships
Facilitating a Brainstorming Session, Leading Virtually, OR Leading through Problem Solving and Decision Making
Electives (select 5 of the following courses)
Building and Leading Successful Teams
Influencing and Persuading Others
Resolving Conflict in the Workplace OR Leading Others through Conflict
How to Manage Difficult Conversations
Emotional Intelligence OR DiSC
Do We Have a Failure to Communicate?
Networking to Improve Leadership Effectiveness
Leading through Setting and Managing Priorities
Performance Mgt - Coaching/Feedback
Performance Mgt - Recognition/Evaluation
Leading with Strategic Thinking
Leading through Shared Vision
Designing a Customer Service Strategy
New Leadership Transitions
Facing Challenges as a First Time Manager
Tracking Time and Attendance
Make the Time You Need: Get Organized
To promote collaboration, encourage networking, and raise awareness of best practices, participants must participate in two Supervisor Roundtable Discussions, one as participant, one as co-lead.
- Focus is on sharing new ideas and/or introducing important discussions that are beneficial for supervisors.
- Discussions are scheduled for 90 minutes at least once per quarter and open to all faculty/staff.
- Co-leads organize discussions based on one of the topics above using an interactive meeting format.
- Discussion topics, meeting format, and scheduling assistance are coordinated by the PDP Administrator.