Search within:

Student Resources FAQ

What courses should I take?

You’ll meet with your advisor at least once a semester to determine what courses you should take. Your department will provide you with a four-year course plan, and you also can consult the course catalog. We recommend that students take at least 15 credits every term to stay on track for graduation.

How do I register for courses?

Before you can register each semester, you’ll meet with your academic advisor to discuss your progress and your proposed schedule. To register, log into your MyOHIO Student Center (requires student log-in) and click on the Enroll tab. Make sure you don’t have any registration holds, and that you do have a valid enrollment appointment time, which  is based on total credit hours earned. Meet with your advisor prior to this date to get your registration advising hold lifted.

Try using the schedule planner to help you choose course times and design a schedule that works for you.

How do I read my DARS?

Watch this video for a tutorial on how to read your DARS. Contact your advisor if you have specific questions.

How do I request permission for a course?

All course permission requests are granted electronically through your MyOHIO Student Center (requires student log-in). If you’re granted permission, you’ll receive an email reminding you to confirm your registration. Follow this video for step-by-step instructions to request permission.

After the first week of classes, you must receive instructor permission to enroll in a course. In rare circumstances, instructors may grant permission to enroll in a course past the second week of class, which requires a separate form.

If you need to enroll late, be sure to attend all classes, and discuss the situation with the instructor.

How do I declare or change my major?

Declare a major, minor, or certificate with this form. You must be in good academic standing to declare your major. Students applying to the Russ College must also earn a C or better in a math and a science course. If you want to declare a major outside of the Russ College, you must go to that program’s college office.

How do I add a minor or certificate?

You can declare most minors and certificates using this form. Some minors or certificates may require an application instead.

What if I want to take more than 20 credit hours?

You need permission from the Russ College to take more than 20 credit hours. To request permission, fill out the request to exceed 20 credit hours form online. Please be aware that you’ll be charged for each additional credit over 20 hours.

For more info. on course registration, visit the Office of the Registrar’s website .

Who is my advisor?

Every student is assigned a faculty advisor in their department for help selecting classes and working toward academic and career goals. Your advisor is listed on the main page of your MyOHIO Student Center (requires student log-in).

What do I do if I can’t get ahold of my advisor?

When contacting your advisor, write a professional email and offer several suggested meeting times, then allow at least 24 hours for a response. You can also propose a meeting time using your Catmail account (view instructions for desktop and instructions for mobile). If you still can’t connect with your advisor, contact the undergraduate or department chair for your major or request a new advisor here.

How do I take classes at other universities?

Many universities allow students to register as a “guest” or “transient” student. Please note: Grades you earn at other institutions will transfer, but they aren’t included in your GPA calculation. If you want to replace your grade in a course, you must retake the course through Ohio University.

Visit the Transfers and Credits page for more info on how to register, or transfer credits.

Where can I get help with my classes?

Your instructors’ office hours are set aside specifically to help you with the course material. It’s helpful to email the instructor ahead of time to let them know you’re coming. Go prepared with questions or topics you want to discuss. The Academic Achievement Center also offers assistance in the form of tutoring, Supplemental Instruction and college study skills coaching. All services are free.

I’m on academic probation. What should I do?

Probation should be taken seriously, as a warning that you need to make changes in order to improve your academic performance. Many students have found success after being placed on probation by taking advantage of available resources such as advising, tutoring, office hours or study skills coaching. If your overall GPA is below a 2.0, you must attend an Academic Success Workshop. You may also be placed on probation because your engineering GPA is below a 2.0, or if you’re taking a class for the third time. All probation students are asked to schedule a meeting with Assistant Dean for Student Success Grace Sallar at to create an individual success plan


How do I calculate my GPA?

Your GPA is found by dividing the total grade points you have earned by the total number of credits you have attempted. Classes with higher credit hours will affect your GPA more than classes with just one or two credit hours. You can also download an electronic GPA calculator here.

How do I file a grievance or appeal a grade?

The Ohio University Ombudsperson works to ensure all students, staff, and faculty receive equitable treatment. This office also manages the official grade change process. Please note: Grade appeals must be initiated within 15 days of the start of the next semester.

How do I drop a class?

Drop and withdraw deadlines vary based on when the course begins and ends. For full semester courses, you can drop a class through the second week of classes to have it removed from your transcript. You may withdraw from a class until the end of week 10 to earn a WP or WF grade, which will not affect your GPA. After week 10, students with extenuating circumstances can petition for a late dropIf you were previously dismissed for academic reasons, you may complete this form to petition for reinstatement after one calendar year

I need to leave school. What do I do?

If you’re leaving for a short time, contact your professors or Associate Dean for Academics Deb McAvoy to let them know your situation. You may be able to make up missed work or obtain an incomplete grade at the end of the semester depending on your circumstances. If you need to leave for an extended period of time, you can withdraw from all classes with no GPA penalty and may be eligible for a tuition appeal. Contact Administrative Specialist Jessica Shuler or visit Stocker Center 120 to begin the process.

I’d like to re-enroll. What should I do?

Students who leave the university in good standing may re-enroll at any time and don’t need to re-apply. Complete a re-enrollment form, then check your MyOHIO Student Center for any additional holds you might need to resolve before you can register for classes.

How can I ask for an incomplete grade?

Instructors grant incomplete grades on an individual basis for students with extenuating circumstances. Contact your instructor to arrange details about how you’ll complete the coursework and earn your grade. Incomplete grades become an F after week 2 of the next semester in which you enroll, or after two years, whichever time is shorter.