Avinash Karanth has been on the faculty of EECS since 2007. He has taught introductory courses in computer engineering, computer organization, and advanced courses such as parallel computer architecture and interconnection networks for high-performance computing. Karanth has published more than 60 publications in IEEE and OSA peer-reviewed conferences and journals in the field of computer architecture and optical interconnection networks. His graduate students have gone on to work at Intel Corporation, Lockheed Martin, and other multinational companies. Karanth has also been the lead faculty for senior design projects involving health management system by developing hardware infrastructure for designing a health kiosk to evaluate the health of an individual.
Research Interests: computer architecture, parallel processing, chip multiprocessors (CMPs), network-on-chips (NoCs)
All Degrees Earned: Ph.D., Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Arizona, 2006; M.S., Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Arizona, 2003; B.E., Electronics and Communications, Manipal Institute of Technology, Mangalore University, 2000
- Randy Morris, Avinash Kodi and Ahmed Louri, “Reconfiguration of 3D Photonic On-chip Interconnects for Maximizing Performance and Improving Fault Tolerance,” 45th Annual IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Microarchitecture (MICRO-45), Vancouver, BC, Canada, Dec 1-5, 2012.
- Randy Morris and Avinash Kodi, “Exploring the Design of 64 & 256-core Power-Efficient Nanophotonic Interconnects,” IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 1386-1393, September/October 2010.
- Dominic DiTomaso, Avinash Kodi, Savas Kaya and David Matolak, “iWISE: Inter-router Wireless Scalable Express Channels for Network-on-Chips (NoCs) Architecture”, 19th Annual IEEE Symposium on High-Performance Interconnects (Hot Interconnects), Santa Clara, California, August 24-25, 2011.
- Avinash Kodi, Ashwini Sarathy, and Ahmed Louri, “iDEAL: Inter-router Dual-function Energy- and Area-Efficient Link design for Network-on-Chip (NoC) Architecture,” Proceedings of the 35th International Symposium on Computer Architecture (ISCA-35), pp. 241-250, Beijing, China, June 21-25, 2008.
- Avinash Kodi and Ahmed Louri, “Performance Adaptive Power-Aware Reconfigurable Optical Interconnects for HPC Systems,” Proceedings on ACM/IEEE Conference on High-Performance Networking and Computing, SuperComputing (SC’07), Reno, Nevada, November 10-16, 2007.
- NSF CAREER (2011-2016)