Counselor Education Traineeship
A placement within Counseling and Psychological Services (CPS) includes seeing Ohio University student clients from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of concerns. Trainees will provide counseling to on-going individual clients, as well as crisis/drop-in coverage. The opportunity to process, observe, or co-facilitate a group is available.
We at CPS believe that training future practitioners is part of our mission and therefore encourage you to participate in activities we are engaged in and which meet your own interests and career plans. We provide up to two hours of weekly one-on-one supervision per trainee. We also provide trainees with one and a half hours of weekly group supervision and continuing education through our graduate professional seminar.
Placements at CPS begin in the Spring semester for practicum. The following fall and spring semester will constitute the internship experience.
All students will need to participate in a one and a half hour, once-a-week graduate professional seminar as part of the placement. These will most likely to be held on Wednesday mornings.
- A high quality training experience in a HIPAA-compliant environment
- Flexibility and responsiveness to meet individual training needs
- Supervision from an appropriately licensed professional
- A minimum 25% of training time spent in direct service provision
Completion of an introductory course, or its equivalent, in interviewing skills before beginning a CPS placement
Identify relevant course work, including number of credit hours taken and prior experience in interviewing
Completion of an introductory course, or its equivalent, in diagnosis prior to a CPS placement
Identify relevant course work, including number of credit hours taken, as well as prior experience in diagnosis
Candidates for placement at CPS should complete an application for the position and return it in one of two ways:
- In person: Deliver the application, ATT: Rinda Scoggan, to the front desk staff at our Hudson Health Center location,
- Via email: To Rinda Scoggan
Additional packets can be obtained at our Hudson Health Center location or by e-mailing Rinda Scoggan.
- The aforementioned application form
- Departmental permission form
- Academic experience worksheet
- Curriculum vitae
- Two letters of reference, one preferably from your Foundations of Counseling professor
- Unofficial transcripts
Please include supplemental material that may assist reviewers in considering your candidacy. If you meet the basic criteria for placement, you will be asked to interview with one or more CPS staff. Unfortunately, the number of students we can accommodate is limited and varies from year-to-year. Applications will be reviewed and candidates interviewed on a first-come basis until available placements are filled.
If you have questions or concerns, please email Rinda Scoggan, assistant training director.