Wellness Specialist Position Description
Job Title: Wellness Specialists
Position Type: Student Hourly, Practicum, Workstudy
Salary: Student hourly/Workstudy = minimum wage, Practicum – earns class credit
Department: Fitness Center
Location: Grover Center E124
Supervisor: Cyndi Parsons
Applications accepted by: Online Form. See link below.
Job Description: The Wellness Specialist (WS) are responsible for covering the Front Desk and Fitness Center during all hours of operation. Two WS are on duty at all times, one in the Fitness Center and one at the Front Desk. Both WS will open the facility when scheduled, and close the facility when scheduled. WS are assigned shifts Monday through Fridays that they will work all semester. Weekends (Friday starting at 4pm through Sunday evening) are distributed as evenly as possible with the entire WS staff. Must be available to work on the Athens Campus at WellWorks in Grover Center between 5:30am-9:00pm Monday through Friday, and 9:00am-6:00pm Saturday and Sunday. A minimum of 8 hours of work a week. The WS exemplifies the entirety of WellWorks at OHIO University and its services to the OHIO and Athens communities. They are the front line customer service staff for all WellWorks programs and services and must conduct themselves professionally. New hires will have a 90-day probation period that begins the day they complete their last training session (the one-on-one with Cyndi). Not following policies and procedures may result in termination of employment.
- Attend and actively participate in all required training when hired for this position Attend and actively participate in Orientation. (Those who cannot attend will be put on a 90-day probation regardless of their term of service.)
- Attend and actively participate in all mandatory monthly meetings. Attend and actively participate in all MI3 (Motivational Interviewing – 3 sessions) trainings – complete the series.
- Attend and actively participate in CIA (Culture in Action) training. CPR/First Aid/Bloodborne Pathogens certification training (as needed to hold current certification) HIPAA training (yearly) Cash/Credit Card Handling training (yearly) Blood Pressure training
- A WS must be always on duty, one at the Front Desk and one in the Fitness Center.
- Maintain knowledge of WellWorks’ policies, operations, programs and procedures.
- Serve as customer service representative for WellWorks as a whole.
- Answer questions regarding the facility and any program that may take place in the facility. Sell various items including memberships and services, and program registration.
- Provide membership and registration options based on patron needs.
- Connect with members in a positive way to support their wellness experience at WellWorks.
- Perform job tasks to the best of your ability and ask for help when you don’t know.
- Direct members/clients to appropriate full-time staff for program/service questions in which they cannot answer to the best of their ability.
- Ensure safety of members in fitness space including: spotting, cleaning of equipment, reporting broken equipment, understand and facilitate EAP (Emergency Action Plan).
- Hold peer to WellWorks standards and assist peers in a caring respectful way to support their learning of the WellWorks way.
- Adhere to roles and responsibilities detailed in the Student Handbook.
Job Specific Tasks:
- Use of current software system to create membership contracts, member portal accounts, booking/cancelling appointments, redeeming sessions of at appointment check-in, on members’ accounts, processing point of sale payments, and processing visitors.
- Explain how to become a member of WellWorks (knowledge of all membership types) Using customer service skills to greet members and guests as they check in and leave.
- Give orientations to new members.
- Describe our group fitness schedules/class descriptions, and how they register for the class via the member portal.
- Communicate with office staff.
- Complete Point of Sale and cash/check/credit card handling on a daily basis.
- Answer and transfer phone calls to the appropriate professional staff Provide positive, intentional, and consistent customer service to each patron.
- Wear staff shirt, casual pants (no jeans), tennis shoes and nametag while on duty.
- Maintain clean, professional atmosphere.
- Adhere to the Student Employee Handbook Read the weekly WS Newsletter.
- Read the WellWorks Newsletter from the marketing department.
- Keep up with the WellWorks Facebook posts.
- Know how to navigate the WellWorks webpage and member portal.
- Clearly explain company policies and procedures Demonstrate professionalism with a customer comes first attitude Issue verbal warnings or file accountability slips of WS (including WS Student Managers) when you notice policies are not being upheld.
- In the Fitness Center, explain the proper use of exercise equipment, proper exercise technique, and spotting members if requested.
- Routine cleaning of equipment is to be completed each day.
- Launder FC & GE cleaning towels on a regular basis.
- Challenge yourself to achieve higher levels of awareness of people’s perceptions, maintaining appropriate sensitivity and awareness of cultural norms, diversity, and diversity education.
- Assist supervisors with moving and replacing equipment.
- Complete other duties as assigned
Preferred Skills and Degree Majors:
- Exercise physiology (or other health-related) major
- Minimum GPA 2.5
- Cash/credit card handling and point-of-sale experience preferred
- Preferably a first-year, second-year, or junior (students who will be at the University longer than one year).