No In-person appointments are offered at this time. We are working toward TeleMental Health Services. To speak with a counselor, please call CPS at 740-593-1616
A lcohol and Other Drugs
S creening and
I ntervention for
BASICS is a two-session program, consisting of an initial two-hour assessment session, followed by a two-week period of self-monitoring, and finalized in a one-hour feedback session. It typically takes 4 weeks for the entire process.
The BASICS Program provides:
- A confidential, safe setting for students to openly explore their alcohol and other drug involvement.
- An assessment of risk for continued alcohol and other drug related problems.
- Personalized written and verbal feedback to promote reduced risk for alcohol and other drug related problems.
- A letter of completion/incompletion to the Ohio University of Community Standards and Student Responsibility or Athletics Department, or court/probation officer regarding a student's participation in BASICS.
The BASICS Program DOES NOT:
- Conduct a comprehensive biopsychosocial assessment of alcohol and drug use.
- Transmit personal information or details about a student's participation in the program to outside referral sources. This creates a level of safety that most students need in order to honestly assess their alcohol use problems.
- Result in treatment recommendations or diagnosis that might be required by your court or probation officer; you will need to seek this type of service elsewhere.
Is BASICS Right For Me?
If you have been asked by your judge or probation officer to get an alcohol and/or drug use evaluation, you may be wondering, "Can I do that here"?
Maybe. The service that we offer, the BASICS program, may be a viable alternative – or not. Most students are referred to BASICS through the Ohio University Office of Community Standards and Student Responsibility. Court referrals require consideration on a case-by-case basis. You can use this information about the BASICS program, about what it does and does not provide, so you can discuss this option with the person who asked you to obtain an evaluation.
If you learn that the BASICS program is an acceptable way to fulfill your obligation, contact CPS to register for the program.
Note: The BASICS program includes a $100.00 fee charged to your student account.
If you learn that the BASICS program is not an option, you could fulfill your obligation with a community-based agency or with a qualified professional. In Athens, Health Recovery Services or Hopewell Mental Health may be able to assist you. You can look up their phone numbers in the telephone book or on the internet.
For any questions regarding BASICS, please contact:
Counseling and Psychological Services
Athens, OH 45701