October Well-Being Newsletter: Breast Cancer Awareness Month
October 16, 2019
What is Breast Cancer Awareness Month?
It is a worldwide campaign taking place in October to highlight the importance of breast cancer awareness, education, and research.
- Aim to get as many people as possible involved in raising awareness and funds to help support life-saving research & life-changing support.
The Main Causes of Breast Cancer:
- Age: The risk increases with age
- Genetics: If a close relative has or previously had breast cancer, the risk is higher
- A history of breast cancer or breast lumps
- Body Weight: Women who become overweight or develop obesity after menopause may also have a higher chance
- Alcohol Consumption: A higher rate of alcohol consumption appears to play a role in breast cancer as well
How to Support Someone With Breast Cancer:
- Try to keep a positive attitude
- Be prepared for changes in someone's behavior and mood
- Encourage them to be active and to do as much for themselves as possible
- Encourage other individuals to help out those in need. A positive support system is very important
- Become an advocate
- Think before your speak
- Bring joy and laughter
- Remember that the small gestures are important too
"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow."
-Mary Ann Radmacher
To get more involved, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.