Instructional Faculty (Non-Tenure) Promotion
Instructional faculty ranks:
- Professor of Instruction
- Associate Professor of Instruction
Promotion salary increases for instructional faculty:
- Promotion to Associate Professor of Instruction: $4,000
- Promotion to Professor of Instruction: $6,000
- (pro-rated based on part-time / full-time appointment status)
Timeline for Instructional Faculty Promotion
- On or before the last day of fall semester exams
- Chair/Director (or equivalent) notifies faculty member in writing of departmental decisions regarding promotion
- On or before the first day of spring semester
- Chair/Director (or equivalent) forwards dossiers for faculty receiving positive recommendations for promotion, along with the own written letter of support, to the college
- On or before March 1
- Dean notifies chair/director/others and candidate in writing of rejection of departmental recommendations for promotion
- College dean sends select portions of dossiers, for faculty receiving positive recommendations for promotion, along with his/her own written letters of support, electronically to the Vice Provost for Faculty Development Katie Hartman (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Note: each college should submit all the dossiers at the same time.
- March 1 - March 31
- Dossiers under review by the executive vice president and provost and the president.
- April 1
- Executive vice president and provost notifies dean, chair, and candidate in writing of rejection of department recommendation for promotion.
- First week of April
- EVPP office sends notifications to candidates of president's and executive vice president and provost's approval of departmental recommendations for promotion.
Throughout the promotion review process, the Instructional Faculty Promotion Review form [PDF] must accompany the dossier. This form has been sent to the deans, chairs, and directors.
Only certain materials from the promotion packet are submitted to the executive vice president and provost and the president for their review. For a list of these materials, scroll down toward the bottom of the page.
Information regarding instructional faculty definition, hiring, and promotion may be found in the Ohio University Faculty Handbook.
Instruction Faculty Promotion
Documents Submission Guidelines
Only the documents listed below should be submitted to the executive vice president & provost (EVPP) and the president for review. These documents should be removed from the promotion packet and assembled in the order indicated. Documents must be submitted electronically as a PDF before they are reviewed by the EVPP and the President.
Submit documents electronically (via email or OneDrive folder) for all persons being considered for promotion, from each college, at the same time to:
Vice Provost for Faculty Development Katie Hartman (email@example.com)
Materials are due on or before March 1.
Section One - Introductory Documents
- Review form for promotion (signature sheet)
- College dean letter
- College promotion committee letter (if applicable)
- Chair/Director letter
- Department/School promotion committee letter
- Regional campus dean non-decision, input letter (optional, if applicable)
- Annual evaluation letters and any promotion progress letters
- Copy of the faculty member's offer/appointment letter (most recent if it was ever modified)
Section Two - Promotion Summary Documents
- Table of Contents
- Academic Preparation
- Professional Experience
- Instruction and Advising
- Teaching Load - Courses taught over the past 3-5 years. Any changes in teaching assignments
- Teaching Effectiveness - Evidence of course organization, presentation and requirements. Student evaluation information. Teaching awards and recognition. Selection for teaching in special programs. Participation as a student in teaching enhancement programs. Other evidence of teaching effectiveness (Example: supporting letters from faculty peers.
- Interdisciplinary Teaching
- Advising and Supervision
- Professional Associations
- Committees and Service
- Interdisciplinary Contributions
- Other Factors
Section Three - Curriculum Vitae and Promotion Guidelines
- Attach a current, comprehensive, curriculum vitae.
- Department/School/Campus promotion guidelines.
- College/RHE promotion guidelines.