I didn't receive credit for a course, what happened?
First, review the following list of questions:
- Was the institution you attended regionally accredited? OHIO only accepts transfer credit from a Council of Higher Education (CHEA) recognized regionally accredited institution. You can visit chea.org to search for information regarding your institution's accreditation or reach out to your institution directly for accreditation information.
- What grade did you earn in the course? If the course was transferred from a CHEA-recognized regionally accredited institution and your grade was below a D-, then the course will not transfer. In most cases, nontraditional credit (pass/fail or competency-based education courses) earned at independent Ohio institutions or institutions outside of Ohio will not be transferable.
- Was the course a developmental/remedial course? Courses that are not considered college level are usually indicated with course numbers below 100 or 1000 and do not transfer to OHIO.
If an incoming course is pending evaluation by an academic college, the course status will be “no rule” on your transfer credit evaluation. Please note that you have received credit for these courses, they are just pending evaluation by your academic college. If you have questions in this regard, please contact the appropriate college office via the phone numbers listed below. If the course has been evaluated by an academic college, the information will be listed under equivalent course, units, and grade. There are several possible outcomes:
- Your course matches a specific OHIO course – the OHIO department code and course number will be listed (e.g., PSY 1010).
- Your course is in an area that is also taught by OHIO, but the content does not match a specific OHIO course – an OHIO department code with an appropriate course level designation will be listed (e.g., PSY 2XXL, meaning this is a 2000 level psychology course with no specific match to an OHIO course).
- Your course is in an area not offered by OHIO – the departmental code, TECE, meaning “technical elective,” will be listed along with a course level designation (e.g. TECE 1XXL). Each OHIO academic college counts only a certain amount of TECE credit toward graduation. Check with your academic college for more specific information in this regard.