How Do I Get Help for a Food Allergy or Special Diet Need?
1. Contact our Registered Dietitian, Angie Bohyer (firstname.lastname@example.org)
2. Dietitian will set up a meeting within 48 business hours
3. Prior to meeting with our dietitian, please complete one of the following forms so that we have the necessary information to assist you:
5. During your meeting our dietitian will go over how Culinary Services will meet your specific dietary need. Please bring any information you have from a physician so we can best meet your need. Our dietitian will go over the following general information items:
a. Where to find menu, nutrition and food information on the Culinary Services Website
b. Menu items we have that meet your dietary needs and where to find them
c. Answer any questions you may have
6. Within 48 business hours of the meeting the student will receive an email from our dietitian summarizing the meeting
7. The student may request additional meetings with our dietitian at any time.
If you have met with our dietitian and feel we are unable to meet your dietary needs, you may file a request to be exempt from the meal plan. The exemption process is below.
1. Complete a Meal Plan Termination/Change form found at www.ohio.edu/housing/forms. Scroll down to the bottom of the page.
2. Submit your Meal Plan Termination/Change form along with the appropriate documentation to email@example.com.
3. You will be contacted to set up a time and date to meet with the Exemption Committee which is a cross-sectional group of campus professionals that hears all appeals.
4. The decision of the Exemption Committee may be appealed to the Vice President of Student Affairs.
Supporting our Bobcats with food allergies and special dietary needs
Culinary Services is committed to providing exceptional service in an inclusive and caring environment. We realize that some students have food allergies and special dietary needs. Be assured that our staff is trained in helping all of our students get the most out of their dining experience. View our Food Allergy Brochure
We encourage students with a food allergy or special dietary need to contact Angie Bohyer (firstname.lastname@example.org) our Registered Dietitian who will meet with students to discuss ways we can help.
The District on West Green offers “Margaret’s Made for You” concept where students with a special dietary need can go to receive a fresh meal made to order by a trained member of our staff. In addition, The District is supporting our Bobcats who have nut allergies! We offer a nut free menu and ask for your assistance in creating an inclusive environment for all. Please refrain from bringing nut products into The District. Please note that our menu items may be made in facilities that process nuts. If you have questions, please contact one of our Culinary Services team members.
If you cannot make it to the District, no problem. Nelson Court offers meals to any student with a special dietary need as well. These meals may be arranged by meeting with our Registered Dietitian, Angie Bohyer (email@example.com).
Our Central Food Facility has a gluten-free kitchen where a trained member of our team produces a variety of gluten-free baked goods which are sealed and sent to all of our facilities. Items are available in all our dining courts and retail venues. To avoid cross-contact these items are kept behind the serving area at Nelson Court and are available upon request.
Special Diet Icons
Ohio University Culinary Services provides exceptional service to the Ohio University community in support of its academic mission and vision. As part of this mission, we have developed a variety of informational icons which are indicated next to each item on our Menu page.
For the details behind each icon, see the Nutritional Icons
Weekly menus are available to assist you in meal planning. Menu information is available in the Dining Court/Hall lobbies, on residence hall bulletin boards, on CATVision, the residence hall television network, and via our online menus page.
Ohio University Dining Responsibilities Statement
Please be aware that all Ohio University culinary locations prepare items containing egg, fish, milk, peanuts, shellfish, soy, tree nuts and wheat. If you have a food allergy or other individual dietary need, please ask for a manager to assist you.
Students with severe food allergies or whose individual dietary needs require accommodation such as special menu planning or special food preparation should consult our dietitian, Angie Bohyer MAHE, RD, LD at 740-593-2970, firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information or support.
Ohio University Culinary Services makes every attempt to deliver up to date nutrition and food-allergen information, but cannot guarantee an item that we prepare to be allergen-free. The information found on our nutrition cards and on our website is obtained from the latest USDA Standard Reference database, our vendors, or by individual packaging and is accurate to the best of our knowledge. Our staff is taught the severity of food allergies and/or individual dietary needs and is shown ways to minimize the possibility of cross-contact within our locations.
Please be advised that there are instances when certain ingredients may be substituted on the actual day of preparation. Commercial manufacturers may change their formulations without our knowledge or other factors may occur that are beyond our control. Additionally, there is always a possibility for cross-contact to occur. Due to these conditions, Ohio University Culinary Services cannot guarantee that any item prepared in our kitchen is totally free of a certain ingredient or allergen. Individuals with food-related dietary concerns should be aware of this risk and understand that Ohio University Culinary Services will not assume any liability for adverse reactions to foods consumed, or items with which one may come into contact while eating at any Ohio University Culinary Services location.