Healthcare Leadership Certificate
Healthcare Leadership Certificate Overview
In the continually evolving healthcare industry, outstanding leadership is crucial to ensure communities get the best possible care. Ohio University’s College of Health Sciences and Professions offers a 100% online, graduate-level Healthcare Leadership Certificate designed to offer high-quality educational opportunities for working healthcare professionals. This certificate will help professionals become more effective leaders, improve quality and safety, enhance the patient experience, stimulate financial growth and further develop a robust organizational culture for employees.
While traditional master’s programs also prepare leaders, there is a growing demand from physicians, nurses and others for a convenient alternative that allows them to be better prepared for the leadership roles they are assuming.
The Healthcare Leadership Certificate is 100% online and will help new and emerging leaders gain the knowledge and skills to expertly lead in a healthcare organization. View program flyer here (PDF).
Interested in obtaining a master's degree by combining your specific areas of interest?
This certificate is part of a unique stackable certificate option that can lead to obtaining a Master of Integrated Health Studies.
Simply choose any two of the following designated graduate certificates and complete a set of core courses.
Opportunities upon Completion:
There is a growing demand from physicians, nurses and others to be better prepared for the leadership roles they are assuming. This certificate, which is based on a model of core leadership competencies and pillars of success used to translate strategic plans into operational goals and objectives (e.g., quality, finance, employee engagement), will help to better prepare them for these leadership roles.
IHS 5200 Foundations of Leadership in Healthcare
IHS 5201 Quality, Safety and Service in Healthcare Leadership
IHS 5202 Financial Innovation and Growth Strategies in Healthcare Leadership
1) Minimum semester hours required: 9
2) Thesis requirement: No
3) Qualifying exam: No
4) Expected time to completion if studying full-time: 1.5 semesters
5) The Healthcare Leadership Graduate Certificate consists of three courses for total of nine semester credit hours. Upon applying for graduation (for degree-seeking students) or completion of the certificate requirements (for non-degree students), you must contact the program coordinator for verification of completion and the awarding of the certificate.
The Healthcare Leadership Graduate Certificate program will accept students in two categories: (1) those who have been admitted to an advanced degree program at Ohio University and (2) those who possess a bachelor’s or advanced degree but are not currently in a degree program at Ohio University. Master of Integrated Health Studies (MIHS) students do not need to apply for each certificate separately. Each MIHS student will identify their two certificates of choice when applying to the degree program.
1) Students who have already been admitted to an advanced degree program at Ohio University (degree-seeking graduate students).
- Complete an Application for Update of Graduate Academic Program. This application can be obtained online or in person from the Graduate College. The certificate code is CTHCLG.
- The completed application, including the signature of an advisor (if applicable) should be submitted to the Department of Interdisciplinary Health Studies, in Grover W182, or emailed to Stephanie Johnson (email@example.com) to obtain the certificate director signature.
- After the certificate director has signed the form, it will be sent to the Graduate College for processing.
2) To apply to an individual certificate program for those who are not currently enrolled in an advanced degree program at Ohio University:
- Submit an application to the Graduate College. Admission requirements include the following:
- 4-year bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited U.S. university/college or equivalent from a non-U.S. institution
- Ability to manage graduate studies as evidenced by undergraduate performance, current professional responsibilities, and/or similar criteria.
Click here to apply for the certificate program as a non-degree student.
Fall 2022 applications will be accepted March 1, 2022-October 9, 2022.