History, Mission, Vision
Exploring our past, envisioning our future
Watch the full Video on YouTube:
Where past experiences enrich current learning
As you explore the history of the College of Health Sciences and Professions, the connection between past and present — between tradition and innovation — is clear.
With the appointment of Hilda Richards as dean in 1979, the newly formed College of Health and Human Services began a long tradition of innovative thinking. Richards, Ohio University's first female dean and its first black dean, understood that the nursing college needed to grow and added several new programs including physical therapy and health administration. Under her leadership, the college quickly grew to encompass a broad range of programs across many disciplines.
Founding Dean Hilda Richards
In 2001, the college moved into a new home in Grover Center, a state-of-the-art building redesigned specifically for the college. The facility, which was originally OHIO's basketball arena, now features 21 classrooms, 24 labs, a fitness complex, a cafe and wireless Internet throughout the building.
In 2008, the college expanded into the world of online education with its Master of Health Administration degree. Today, more than 5,000 students are enrolled in online degree and certificate programs in health administration, nursing, global health and clinical informatics. With 2010's academic restructuring, the College of Health Sciences and Professions refocused its core mission on health and well-being, positioning the college as a national model for health professions education, scholarship and service across a wide array of disciplines. In 2011, the Social Work program moved into the college, joining other health-focused disciplines.
Today, the College of Health Sciences and Professions includes more than 100 faculty and staff members and more than 8,000 students—with more growth ahead. In 2014, college leaders broke ground on a new facility at the Ohio University Dublin Integrated Education Center in central Ohio, which now serves as the home of the physician assistant practice degree, the combined master of science and dietetic internship program, the doctor or nursing practice and other programs across the health spectrum.
Mission and Vision
- To be a college of distinction in preparing health professionals whose work reflects the highest standards of collaboration, ethics, innovation and commitment to all, especially underserved individuals and populations.
- To educate students from various backgrounds in the health professions through rigorous curricular activities that prepare them to take leadership roles in a competitive, technological, culturally diverse and global environment.
- To engage students and faculty in the discovery of knowledge that will define the future of health disciplines through applied and basic research, innovation and entrepreneurship.
- To extend the boundaries of Ohio University to enrich the quality of lives, especially for individuals in underserved and vulnerable populations, through interprofessional and community collaborations.
What Defines Us
- Interdisciplinary, collaborative approaches in research and academics
- Focus on rural health care
- Outreach to underserved populations
- Emphasis on reflecting and promoting diversity in health settings
- Engagement in global health education and issues
Why Choose the College of Health Sciences and Professions?
Whether it's in the classroom or in the community, in the library or in the laboratory, the College of Health Sciences and Professions will challenge you at every turn—teaching you to think critically and act boldly, and preparing you to take the knowledge you gain here out into the world, where it can do the most good for the most people.
Since its founding in 1979, the College of Health Sciences and Professions has been known for the quality of its academic programs and the success of its graduates. More than 9,000 students are enrolled in more than 30 academic majors housed in our five schools and departments. Every day, these students work with outstanding faculty members who are committed to achieving excellence in education and scholarship.
While our longest history is at our Athens, Ohio, campus, our footprint is worldwide, with students having studied or engaged in clinical work at sites in Africa, Asia, Europe, South America and North America. Every day, our students engage in innovative and insightful learning activities, inspiring research, and dynamic clinical work with underserved populations in southeast Ohio, across the state and nation, and around the world.
The college is a place where ideas lead to innovations, where today's students become tomorrow's professionals, and where commitment and caring benefit our communities and the people who live in them.
Signs of our success are everywhere:
- The college houses three of the four graduate programs at Ohio University that are ranked among the top 50 in their fields, according to U.S. News & World Report rankings.
- Ohio University Therapy Associates records more than 10,000 visits per year by southeast Ohio residents needing hearing, speech and physical therapy treatment. At the same time, it provides clinical experiences to dozens of students in those majors.
- The School of Nursing's online RN-to-BSN program was ranked #5 in the country for 2015 by Best College Reviews.
- The Athletic Training program recently became the first graduate program in athletic training in Ohio to receive CAATE accreditation.
- The first-time pass rate of our graduates on professional licensure exams surpasses 95 percent.
- The Master of Health Administration program is rated as one of the top online MHA programs in the nation.
- Our Kids on Campus program enrolls more than 700 local youth each year in its afterschool and summer programs.
The College of Health Sciences and Professions is a place where exciting things happen every single day. Whether you're interested in undergraduate programs, graduate programs or a specific department or school unit within the college, we can help you gain the skills you need to make a difference in the world. Explore our website and see for yourself how this is the place where everything connects.