Eung Seok Lee
Ph.D., 1999, Indiana University
M.S., 1990, Yonsei University
B.S., 1988, Yonsei University
- Contaminant hydrogeology
- Environmental isotope hydrology
- Carbonate-rock hydrogeology
I conduct hydrogeological research in three major areas; contaminant hydrogeology, environmental monitoring and restoration, and carbonate-rock hydrogeology. Titles of my current research projects are: i) KMnO4 treatment of large, dilute, or deep plumes of chlorinated solvents in groundwater (2009-2012), ii) novel technologies for best management of nonpoint source pollution (2008-2014), iii) integrated study on long-term controlled release systems for environmental restoration (2006-2008), and iv) preliminary study on the subsurface thermal energy storage (2008-2009). In addition, I am very interested in hydrogeological research on flow and geochemical evolution of water in carbonate terrain, climatic impact on hydrologic system, and acid mine drainage.
- GEOL 2310: Water and Pollution
- GEOL 4/5800: Principles of Hydrogeology
- GEOL 4/5810: Groundwater Flow Modeling
2014 - present, Associate Professor
2008-2014, Assistant Professor
- Dong-Wan Cho, Byong-Hun Jeon, Chul-Min Chon, Yongje Kim, Franklin W. Schwartz, Eung-Seok Lee, Hocheol Song, 2012. A novel chitosan/clay/magnetite composite for adsorption of Cu(II) and As(V), Chemical Engineering Journal, 200–202, 654-662, 10.1016/j.cej.2012.06.126.
- Jae-Hoon Hwang, Jeong-A Choi, Reda A.I. Abou-Shanab, Booki Min, Hocheol Song, Yongje Kim, Eung Seok Lee, Byong-Hun Jeon, 2011. Feasibility of hydrogen production from ripened fruits by a combined two-stage (dark/dark) fermentation system, Bioresource Technology, 102(2), 1051-1058, 10.1016/j.biortech.2010.08.047.
- Dong-Wan Cho, Chul-Min Chon, Yongje Kim, Byong-Hun Jeon, Frank W. Schwartz, Eung-Seok Lee, Hocheol Song, 2011. Adsorption of nitrate and Cr(VI) by cationic polymer-modified granular activated carbon, Chemical Engineering Journal, 175, 298-305, 10.1016/j.cej.2011.09.108.
- Woo, N.C., Hyun, S.G., Park, W.W., Lee, E.S., Schwartz, F.W., 2009. Characteristics of permanganate oxidation of TCE at low reagent concentrations, Environmental Technology, 30(13), 1337-1342.
- Byung Sun Lee, Jeong Hee Kim, Ki Churl Lee, Yang Bin Kim, Franklin W. Schwartz, Eung Seok Lee, Nam Chil Woo, Myoung Ki Lee, 2009. Efficacy of controlled-release KMnO4 (CRP) for controlling dissolved TCE plume in groundwater: A large flow-tank study, Chemosphere, 74(6), 745-750, 10.1016/j.chemosphere.2008.10.062.
- Jae-Hoon Hwang, Jeong-A. Choi, R.A.I. Abou-Shanab, Amit Bhatnagar, Booki Min, Hocheol Song, Eva Kumar, Jaeyoung Choi, Eung Seok Lee, Yong Je Kim, Sukkee Um, Dae Sung Lee, Byong-Hun Jeon, 2009. Effect of pH and sulfate concentration on hydrogen production using anaerobic mixed microflora, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 34(24) 9702-9710, 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2009.10.022.
- Lee, E.S., Liu, G., Schwartz, F.W., Kim, Y., Ibaraki, M., 2008. Model-based evaluation of controlled-release systems in the remediation of dissolved plumes in groundwater, Chemosphere, 72, 165-173.
- Lee, E.S. , Woo, N.C., Schwartz, F.W., Lee, B.S., Lee, K.C., Woo, M.H., Kim, J.H., Kim, H.K., 2008. Characterization of controlled-release KMnO4 (CRP) barrier system for groundwater remediation: A pilot-scale flow tank study, Chemosphere, 71, 902-910.
- Lee, E.S. , Schwartz, F.W., 2007. Characterization and Optimization of Long-term Controlled Release System for Groundwater Remediation: A Generalized Modeling Approach, Chemosphere, 69, 247-253.
- Lee, E.S. , Schwartz, F.W., 2007. Characterization and applications of controlled- release KMnO4 for groundwater remediation, Chemosphere, 66, 2058-2066.
- Lee, E.S. , Birkham, T.K., Hendry, M.J., Wassenaar, L., 2003. Microbial respiration and diffusive transport of O2, 16O2, and 18O16O in unsaturated zone, Environmental Science and Technology, 37, 2913-2919.
- Lee, E.S., Seol, Y., Fang, Y.C., Schwartz, F.W., 2003. Destruction efficiencies and dynamics of reaction fronts associated with the permanganate oxidation of trichloroethylene, Environmental Science and Technology, 37, 2540-2546.
- Lee, E.S. and Krothe, N.C., 2003. Delineating groundwater-flow systems in a karst terrain, south-central Indiana: using sulphate concentration and δ34Ssulphate as tracers, Applied Geochemistry, 18, 1, 145-153.
- Lee, E.S., Hendry, M.J., Hollings, P., 2003. Use of O2 consumption and CO2 production in kinetic cells to delineate pyrite oxidation-carbonate buffering and microbial respiration in unsaturated media, Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, 65, 3-4, 203-217.
- Lee, E.S. and Krothe, N.C., 2001. A four-component mixing model for water in a karst terrain in south-central Indiana, U.S.A. using solute concentration and stable isotopes as tracers, Chemical Geology, 179, 1-4, 129-143.
Recent Titles of Advisee's Completed Theses
- Antonacci, Thomas E., 2012. A Groundwater Flow and Contaminant Transport Model for the Newport Wellfield Aquifer, Newport, Ohio. M.S. Thesis, Department of Geological Sciences, Ohio University.
- Olson, Pamela R., 2011. Novel Remediation Schemes for Groundwater and Urban Runoff. M.S. Thesis, Department of Geological Sciences, Ohio University.
- Sun, Siying, 2011. Developing Controlled-release Hydrogen Peroxide for On-site Treatment of Organic Pollutants in Urban Storm Runoff. M.S. Thesis, Department of Geological Sciences, Ohio University.
- American Geophysical Union
- Geological Society of America
- John Patton Award, for contributions to the understanding of Indiana geology
- Shell Scholarship