What to do in a Crisis or Emergency Situation?
If there is an immediate threat to a student's physical safety, or a threat to another person's physical safety, students are strongly encouraged to contact 911 or call Ohio University Police Department (740-593-1911) or go to the nearest emergency room.
If a student has an urgent mental health need during business hours, CPS staff are available between the hours of 8am and 5pm, Monday through Friday by phone at 740-593-1616.
No In-person appointments are offered at this time. We are working toward TeleMental Health Services.
To speak with a counselor or consult about an emergency 24/7 call us at 740-593-1616
Examples of Urgent Needs May Include
- A student is having suicidal thoughts and is worried they are unable to keep themselves physically safe
- A student has recently experienced a physical or sexual assault
- A student states they are hearing voices or seeing things
- A student recently experienced or witnessed a threat to life or safety
- A student has recently experienced the death of a loved one
Nearest Emergency Room:
Hospital Emergency Department
OhioHealth O'Bleness Hospital 55 Hospital Drive
Athens, Ohio 45701
Sexual Assault Survivor Advocate at Ohio University: 24/7 Hotline: 740-597-SAFE(7233)
For a listing of Ohio hospitals with a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) available by schedule or on-call to provide medical attention and evidence collection see: https://ocvjc.org/sane-programs
Suicide Prevention Resources
This page has a listing of phone numbers, chat/text lines, and tips for talking to those who are suicidal as well as myths and facts about suicide.