Ohio University

Search within:

What to Do if You Are in Academic Difficulties

Students who have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) below a 2.0 will be placed on academic probation. However, if you are not doing as well as you intended, or perhaps find yourself on probation, you need to take immediate action. You should make an appointment with an adviser in the College of Arts & Sciences Office of Undergraduate Advising & Student Affairs by calling 740-593-2845. Students who are on probation and do not earn a 2.0 GPA the following semester will be suspended. In order to avoid suspension, the A&S College adviser will work with you to develop some specific strategies to assist you in getting out of academic difficulty. You need to consider retaking courses in which you did poorly. If you retake a course, your most recent grade will replace your old grade in your GPA. Of course, we hope the new grade will be better and improve your cumulative GPA! Your previous grade will always appear on your transcript but it will no longer count in your GPA. Additional suggestions might include:

  • Implementing a time management plan.
  • Meeting with your faculty and academic adviser frequently.
  • Utilizing Academic Achievement Services, including Supplemental Instruction (SI) and tutoring services.
  • Taking fewer courses the next semester.
  • Changing majors.
  • Withdrawing from courses.