Submission of Thesis for A&S Departmental Honors
- How to Submit Your Thesis
- How to Submit Your Thesis Electronically to OhioLINK
- Sample of Label to be Placed on the Front of the Thesis Binder and Sample Title Pages [PDF]
- Thesis or Project Submission Form [PDF]
Signatures: Before submitting your thesis to the College of Arts & Sciences, you must obtain your thesis adviser's signature and the departmental honors coordinator signature on the Thesis/Project Approval form: The Dean of the College will review your thesis and add her or his signature, if approved.
Deadline: Your thesis must be received in the office of the Dean of the College of Arts & Sciences no later than 5:00 p.m. on the last day of classes in the term in which you plan to graduate. Please leave a phone number and preferred e-mail address where you can be reached. It is recommended that you maintain a means of accessing your thesis file in case changes need to be made. If you plan on being out-of-the country during the month following the submission of your thesis, please let the A&S staff know.
Electronic Submission: Your thesis must also be filed electronically so that it will be available for viewing on Ohio University Alden Library's ALICE and through OhioLink, the Ohio Department of Education's database.
Having your thesis completed by the deadline is your responsibility—not the responsibility of your thesis adviser. Build into your timetable a sufficient amount of time to allow your thesis adviser to carefully review your work and for a defense, if required by your department.
Schedule an appointment with Dr. Randy Price by calling 740-593-2845. You should bring your signed Thesis or Project approval form. (The form remains loose and is not bound into the thesis.)
Dr. Price will review your thesis for formatting. Be sure the thesis title is the same on your printed copy, label, Thesis or Project approval form, and ultimately, in the electronic file.
Once the thesis is determined to be acceptable, the thesis will be accepted and then reviewed by the dean or his/her designee.
- If for some reason you are not available through your OHIO email during the month after your thesis submission, please notify the A&S College Office.
- File your thesis in PDF format electronically.
Complete the following steps to upload your document to OhioLINK. Please be aware that uploading your document to OhioLINK may make your document available via a Google Search.
Also, note that you will be asked to provide an abstract of your thesis. For an A&S thesis, this need not be a complete abstract, but several sentences describing your thesis subject.
- Go to the OhioLINK Center. While using an Internet browser, go to Ohio Link and click on "Submission for your complete, finalized ETD" (located in the bottom left hand corner of the screen under "Information for Thesis and Dissertation Authors").
- ETD Submission Page. Read the OhioLINK FAQ's and publication agreement, then select the option: "I am submitting: My paper's bibliographic information, abstract, and full text." Next, check the box that states "I have read these terms." (see screen options below) and click "Continue."
- Select school: "Ohio University College of Arts and Sciences" and click "Continue to main form" button.
- ETD Submission: Information about You. Complete sections in consecutive order. Provide all information carefully and accurately. This information MUST match the information on your thesis. (For example, if your name on the thesis is "Ima S. Student" then it must be submitted here as "Ima S. Student" not "Ima Student.") This information must be complete for the "Full Text Upload" option to become available.
- Complete "Information about you" - Complete relevant fields in this section carefully. Enter your name exactly as it appears on your thesis or dissertation, enter address information, and click the "Update this information and return to the main menu" button.
- ETD Submission: Information about Your Paper.
- Type your document's Title in title case with no period at the end (uppercase and lowercase letters).
- For the abstract, type a brief summary of your paper.
- Enter keywords and separate them with semi-colons (;) to describe your document's content/main ideas. Separate each key word or key phrase with a semi-colon (;). Entering keywords will allow others to find your manuscript via search engines without requiring them to know the document's title. Keywords should be specific and not too lengthy. Acronyms can also be used.
- Select one or more Subject Headings. To select more than one Subject Heading, hold down the CTRL key for the PC (or Apple key for the MAC) while clicking on more than one subject heading.
- Enter the year your document was completed (it should default to present year).
- Enter total number of pages in your document; this number should match the page number on the last page of your thesis. Click on "Save and Continue."
- Select the degree you are receiving. You may select more than one by holding down the CTRL or Apple key.
- ETD Submission: Information about Your Degree.
- Select the degree you are receiving.
- Select your program name.
- Enter your advisor name as it is listed on your document. If your adviser has a middle initial, put this in the first name field. You may enter a second adviser's name if you like, but it is not required.
- Enter the year your thesis or dissertation was awarded. This will default to the current year and usually does not need to be changed unless you are filing at year end. Click "Save and Continue" button.
- ETD Submission: Permissions and UMI Publications. Please follow these instructions carefully.
Leave default selected to first option: "Copyright, all rights reserved?" since all thesis and dissertation documents are protected by U.S. Copyright laws (with or without registration).
Scroll to UMI Publication:
Select: "Do not upload my paper to UMI?"
Click "Save and Continue" button.
- ETD Submission: Full text upload
- Note: once you have completed all sections, the "Full text upload" option will appear on the Main Menu.
- PDF conversion instructions: Adobe Acrobat is installed in all computer labs on campus. Select File/Print/Select Adobe Acrobat as your printer.
- To upload your final document, click "Browse" and locate the file you previously received and saved from TAD Services; click to open. Next, click the "Upload Now" button. (NOTE: You may need to wait a few minutes until your document is uploaded. Please do not click the upload button more than once.)
- Complete "Review and complete your submission."
- Proof all information carefully. If you find an error, use the "Back" button, make changes under the appropriate option, and click the "Update this Information and return to the Main Menu" button. When you are confident that all information is correct, select "Submit my Paper Now" button at the bottom on the Main Menu.
- When the upload is complete, you should be able to view your document by clicking on the blue link: "Please view your PDF file to confirm that it is the correct version of your paper and that it uploaded correctly."
- If you are satisfied with all your information after proofreading, click "Yes, submit my ETD (Electronic Thesis or Dissertation) Now"
The College of Arts & Sciences is notified immediately via email that you have uploaded your document to OhioLINK.