A&S Natural Sciences Area Requirements
The natural sciences requirement in the College of Arts & Sciences at Ohio University may be met by selecting 9 semester hours from the following*:
- Anthropology: ANTH 2010, 3460, 3550, 4470, 4480, 4960
- Astronomy: ASTR
- Biological Sciences: BIOS
- Chemistry: except CHEM D015, 1100, 1150
- Computer Science: CS 4160
- Environmental and Plant Biology: except PBIO 2170
- Geography: GEOG 1100, 2020, 2680, 2710, 3010, 3020, 3030, 3040, 3050, 3150, 3160, 3580, 3650, 4060, 4070, 4080, 4090, 4110, 4130, 4170, 4660, 4670, 4712, 4730, 4760
- Geological Sciences: GEOL
- Mathematics: except MATH D005, 1090, 1101, 1102, 1200, 1300, 1321, 1322, 4100
- Physical Science: PSC
- Psychology: PSY 2110, 2210, 3110, 3230
- Physics: PHYS
- University Professor: UP 1901N, 4901N (class subjects vary; check Course Offerings for more information)
Note: Methods courses are not applicable to area requirements.
*These listings must be used as the official guide for the completion of the Arts & Sciences area (distribution) requirements. Exceptions to the 9-hour Arts & Sciences area distribution will be made only under the most unusual of circumstances and by petition only. Consideration for inclusion of courses not listed is not made on an ad hoc basis but requires formal approval of the Arts & Sciences Curriculum Committee.
Some courses from these categories may also be applied to the University Tier II requirements. However, the three Arts & Sciences area categories differ in scope from the six Tier II groupings (Applied Science and Mathematics, Cross-Cultural Perspectives, Fine Arts, Humanities and Literature, Natural Sciences, and Social Sciences). If you wish to select a course that will apply to both the Arts & Sciences and Tier II requirements, take care to choose a course that has been approved for the desired category in both the college and the University listings. Courses that can fulfill Tier I quantitative skills and freshman composition requirements and the Tier III requirement do not apply to the Arts & Sciences area distribution requirements. Exceptions include MATH 1350 and PSY 2110.
The list of courses approved for Tier II categories appears in the General Education Requirements section of the catalog.