Summer Law & Trial Institute
Engage with Attorneys and Judges | Litigate a Mock Trial | Watch a Supreme Court Argument
July 7 - 15, 2022
Application Deadline: Midnight, June 10, 2022
For High School Students
Recommend a High School Student
If you are a high school counselor, teacher, coach, clergy, or other non-family member, submit a recommendation:
Free Program for High-Achieving, Rising High School Juniors and Seniors
Students will gain exposure, through immersive academic study and experiential learning, to the criminal justice system and to law and justice issues relevant to Southeast Ohio, especially access to justice.
Participants in this virtual program will:
- Watch a Supreme Court of Ohio oral argument and meet Ohio Supreme Court Chief Justice Maureen O'Connor.
- Virtually visit the Athens County Court of Common Pleas.
- Virtually visit with non-governmental organizations, such as Southeastern Ohio Legal Services, American Civil Liberties Union of Ohio, and others.
- Meet and interact with attorneys and judges.
- Litigate a mock trial with a real judge.
- Engage with current law and pre-law students.
About the Summer Law & Trial Institute
The Summer Law & Trial Institute is a 8-day virtual program that aims to increase understanding of the law and its possibilities among Ohio high school students from Southeast Ohio. The program also seeks to foster an interest in all aspects of legal education, service, and issues, and to create the next generation of legal, advocacy, and community professionals.
Students will develop core critical legal skills, including:
- Analytical and legal reasoning
- Case analysis
- Public speaking
Students will also learn about:
- Making the transition from high school to college
- Exploring career opportunities in law
- Exploring undergraduate, graduate, and professional areas of legal study
- Team-building skills learned by presenting a trial with a group of peers
The program is free of charge and fully scholarshipped. This program is made possible by a donation from the Athens County Bar Association and generous alumni support. The views expressed herein do not necessarily represent those of the donors.
The Summer Law & Trial Institute is developed, coordinated and implemented by the Center for Law, Justice & Culture in collaboration with the Ohio University College of Arts & Sciences, Athens County Court of Common Pleas, American Civil Liberties Union of Ohio, and Southeastern Ohio Legal Services.
Students participating in the Summer Law & Trial Institute will have daily interactions with lawyers, judges, and Ohio University faculty, and develop knowledge and skills that will prepare them for collegiate study.
The deadline to apply for this selective program is June 10. Applicants are accepted on a rolling basis, so applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as admission is competitive.
Note that the virtual sessions will run from July 7-14, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. each day. On July 15, participants will be required to come to Athens, Ohio, for the live, in-person mock trial. On July 15, check in will be 8 to 9 a.m., and the program will conclude by about 6 p.m.
Preference will be given to high achieving, rising high school juniors, seniors from Southeast Ohio, though outstanding sophomores and high school students outside Southeast Ohio will be considered if space permits. Space is limited.
- An high school transcript is required; official or unofficial transcripts will be accepted. (Please reach out to Larry Hayman if obtaining your transcript is difficult due to the current situation.)
- A 3.0 or higher GPA is preferred. (If you do not meet the 3.0 GPA requirement, please submit a 250-to 500-word essay explaining why you are a good candidate for the program and why your grades are not an accurate reflection of your ability.)
- An essay (250 to 500 words) that highlights why you are interested in law and why you are interested in attending the Summer Law & Trial Institute
- One letter of recommendation from a high school counselor, teacher, coach, clergy, or other non-family member. Recommenders can submit a recommendation electronically. Please direct them to this link.
Larry Hayman is Program Director of the Summer Law & Trial Institute.
- Contact him at email@example.com or 740-593-0835.
At Ohio University, he serves as Pre-Law Specialist for the Center for Law, Justice & Culture and coaches the Ohio University Mock Trial Team. Prior to joining the center, he was a trial attorney in Columbus, Ohio. He received his B.A. in Political Science from Ohio University and his J.D. from The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, where he was an Editor of Ohio State Journal of Criminal Law. He is licensed to practice law in the State of Ohio and before the United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio. He remains active in both the Ohio State Bar Association and the Columbus Bar Association.