Ohio University's core values of character, community, citizenship, civility and commitment define who we are as a University community. We will continue to emphasize our core values as we serve our students, and we will do everything we can to keep our students safe.
We are here to help our students learn and grow so that they become responsible community members and leaders. We will never waver in that commitment.
Our obligation is to the safety and security of our students, We are committed to working with our student organizations to help ensure that they are engaging in behavior and practice that are in alignment with University policies and core values.
Collin's Law Report: biannual SB126 anti-hazing report
OHIO's Policy Against Hazing
Ohio University seeks to promote a safe environment where students may participate in activities and organizations without compromising their health, safety, or welfare. It is therefore the University's policy that hazing is prohibited.
Prevention of hazing is the responsibility of every member of the University community. Each organization, as well as each individual, must accept the personal obligation to uphold the basic community values of citizenship, civility, character, community, and commitment. It is the university's belief that true human development will best occur in an atmosphere that promotes social and ethical responsibility.
Under this policy every member of our University community has an obligation to report and act on information regarding hazing. If no action is taken, Under this policy Ohio University employees have an obligation to report information regarding hazing. All allegations of hazing will be fully investigated, and any organization and/or individuals within an organization found responsible of hazing may face disciplinary action up to and/or including expulsion from the University and criminal charges. OHIO's policy against hazing
What is Hazing?
Hazing includes, but is not limited to:
- Any action or situation which recklessly or intentionally endangers the mental, emotional, or physical health or safety of a student for the purpose of initiation or admission into, or affiliation with, any student organization or group regardless of the person's consent to participate.
- Brutality of a physical nature including but not limited to paddling, whipping, beating, branding, forced calisthenics, or exposure to the elements.
- Coerced consumption, including but not limited to any food, alcoholic beverage, liquid, drug, or any other substance that subjects the student to an unreasonable risk of harm.
- Acts intended to cause mental stress, including but not limited to sleep deprivation, transportation or abandonment, confinement to a small space, forced exclusion from social contact, forced conduct which could result in embarrassment, any forced activity that is designed to shame or humiliate, or any action of harassment (as defined in the "Student Code of Conduct").
- Coerced activities, including but not limited to violation of local, state, or federal laws, violation of university policies, rules, or regulations, and personal servitude.
- Acts of sexual misconduct, relationship violence, or stalking, as defined by Ohio University policy 03.004.