Search within:

Graduate Assistantships: FAQ

Do I have to submit separate applications for graduate assistantships and my academic program of study?

Yes, you will submit an academic application through the Graduate College for any graduate program of study.  Separate applications are required for each graduate assistantship you plan to pursue.  Graduate assistantship position postings can be found on the Ohio University Jobs site.

Do I have to submit letters of reference for graduate assistantship applications?

No, the employment applications for graduate assistantships request only a list of references. These can include supervisors, colleagues, advisors, coaches, and faculty. Typically, a reference list consists of the contact information for 3-5 individuals who can speak to your potential for success in a specific position. 

Do I have to get a graduate assistantship in order to be admitted to the College Student Personnel master’s program?

Yes, students are fully admitted only when they have been recommended for admission by the faculty for the academic program and offered a graduate assistantship by a partnership department or division unit. 

Are these graduate assistantships open to any Ohio University student?

​​​​​​Yes, Ohio University students pursuing an on-campus graduate degree can apply to any of these positions. However, students that are applying to the Master’s in College Student Personnel do have priority eligibility due to the nature of their program of study.

How can other graduate students outside of the College Student Personnel program find graduate assistantship opportunities?

All Ohio University employment opportunities are posted at the Ohio University Jobs site. Individuals are encouraged to contact their perspective academic departments to seek information about additional research, teaching, or graduate assistantship positions available to incoming or current students. 

Can I change my graduate assistantship midway through my academic program?

There are rare instances where graduate students desire a change in their assistantship during their time in the College Student Personnel program or other academic program. This does not happen often, but there are opportunities to make this change. If, after careful consideration by the student, a change is necessary, follow the guidelines below to ensure a smooth transition process for all parties involved (e.g, supervisors, departments, students, and faculty).

  1. Graduate students contemplating an assistantship transition are encouraged to speak with their current supervisor about their desire for a change as early as possible. The ideal timeline for an assistantship transition should occur in late fall semester for the following academic year.  
  2. If it is agreed that a switch would be best for all involved, it is the graduate student's responsibility to identify a new assistantship on campus.
  3. The graduate student changing assistantships must communicate their intent to transition to a new position with their current supervisor and the CSP Program Coordinator (or faculty advisor) as soon as possible.
  4. Unit supervisors who chose to hire a graduate student for a one-year term must provide that student with an official offer letter and communicate this change with the CSP Program Coordinator via email.