How to Earn Summer Credit at Other Institutions
Here are the steps to register for a summer course and transfer your credit back to OHIO:
- Complete fall registration advising
- Work with your advisor to choose summer and fall classes. Develop a backup plan in case your summer plans change.
- Register for summer courses
- Check transferology.com, this chart of equivalent courses [PDF], or our database of pre-approved credit if you need help identifying the correct class to take.
- Submit a petition for transient course approval form to ensure that your course will transfer correctly. If the institution requires a form or letter of permission, you may request one through that link. You'll receive official approval via email.
- Apply to the institution where you plan to take the course as a “guest” or “transient” student.
- Contact Jessica Shuler in Stocker Center 120 with questions.
- Take the class!
- Aim for high grades. You must still meet prerequisite grade requirements to move on in a course sequence -- often a "C" or better. At private or out-of-state institutions, all grades must be a "C-" or better to transfer.
- If you are retaking a course, we recommend you retake the course through Ohio University so you can replace the previous grade. Credits from other institutions will transfer, but grades will not be replaced or affect your overall GPA.
- Be sure to focus on learning the material in the course and not just the grade you need to earn. Just because a course will transfer doesn’t mean that the content will fully prepare you to succeed in subsequent courses.
- Transfer credit back to Ohio University
- Request an official electronic transcript from your host institution after you receive your final grade, and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. If electronic transcripts are not available, transcripts should be sent directly to the Office of Admissions at Chubb Hall 120.
- Call Admissions a few days later to verify the transcript was received, and wait at least a week for the credit to be awarded.
- Contact Grace Sallar in Stocker Center 121 with questions about transfer credits.