Ongoing research projects at the Center for Scientific Computing and Immersive Technologies include a range of topics in our research focus areas.
- Bioinformatics — Center Director Lonnie Welch is engaged in collaborative genomic research with the Edison Biotechnology Institute to develop algorithms that could lead to a cure for diabetes.
- Medical image analysis — Advancements are being explored by Dr. Jundong Liu, who is using images to help measure and study brain differences in patients with Alzheimer’s or Parkinson’s disease.
- High-Performance Computing — Dr. Avinash Karanth is designing an exascale computer that generates a fraction of the heat and processes data thousands of times faster than the world’s current supercomputers.
- Machine Learning, Pattern Recognition, Data Mining — Dr. Razvan Bunescu's work focuses on developing new applications of these computational processes to medical diagnostic tools and improving the underlying systems that support them.
- Immersive Learning Technologies — Modern computer technologies, like three-dimensional graphics and virtual reality, offer immersive experience for users. Dr. Chang Liu is developing some of these learning technologies and programs.