Ohio University students wishing to change their major to journalism (or pursue a dual degree in journalism) must apply for transfer to the E. W. Scripps School of Journalism. A limited number of transfer students are accepted each semester.
Requirements for consideration
A minimum grade point average of 3.0 overall or a 3.0 in the last two semesters (or three quarters). NOTE: A 3.0 qualifies a student only for consideration and does not guarantee admission.
A minimum of 30 semester hours (45 quarter hours) at the time of application deadline.
Transfer applications are accepted twice per academic year.
Spring ’21 deadline: Sept. 25, 2020 (5 pm)
Fall ’21 deadline: Feb. 12, 2021 (5 pm)
*Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Current OHIO students applying to transfer are encouraged to:
- attend a transfer workshop offered by the school each semester: Sept. 10 (5-6 pm) and Jan. 28 (5-6 pm) in Schoonover 233.
- take journalism courses before applying for transfer (several courses do not have a prerequisite).
- join journalism student organizations and work with publications and broadcast outlets (many of which are open to all majors.)
A student's transfer application packet must include the following supporting materials typed, signed, dated, and submitted in a binder:
- A completed Application for Transfer.
- An OHIO transcript (or a copy of a current DARS report).
- A current resume.
- At least two letters of recommendation from references best able to comment on the applicant's journalistic abilities (professors and/or employers). Recommendation letters are an important part of the transfer committee's deliberations. Applicants who do not include at least two letters will not be considered. Letters of recommendation should be sent to the student, then placed (still in the sealed envelope) in his/her portfolio. Ask the recommender to sign across the seal of the envelope. Note: Recommendation letters should not be from high school teachers, administrators or guidance counselors.
- A 500-word written essay on the theme "Why I want to be a journalism major." Sign and date your essay.
- Examples of journalism work (not to exceed six samples). Sign and date each sample submitted.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. It is the responsibility of the applicant to make sure that his or her transfer application packet is complete. Submit the completed application packet to:
E. W. Scripps School of Journalism
223 Schoonover Center
Athens, OH 45701-2979
The school's transfer committee will evaluate applications and make recommendations to the Director and Associate Director, who make final decisions on transfer admissions. Applicants will receive written notification of acceptance or denial. Students denied admission must wait one year (from the time the application was submitted) to re-apply. Applications will not be carried over to the next year. Re-application is necessary.
Additional information available in the school office, 223 Schoonover Center, 740-593-2539.
NOTE: This policy is effective as of April 22, 2008