US: Storytelling, Technology, and Digital Media in Theme Parks
On This Page:
Communication, Journalism, and Media
March 15 at 11:59pm
For more information contact
Global Programs Coordinator
This program examines media design, technology, and storytelling principles that are employed in the development of theme parks. Special emphasis is placed on the integration of different forms of media into one cohesive immersive environment.
The program is a semester-long course on the Athens campus and includes an off campus field experience in Orlando for a week.
To learn more about how this course is adapting during the COVID-19 pandemic check out this OHIOnews story: https://www.ohio.edu/news/2021/03/storytelling-and-theme-parks-course-adapts-teaching-immersion-amid-pandemic.
Highlights and Excursions
Students will experience all access tickets, workshops and speakers, and behind-the-scenes tours at Walt Disney World and a day-long visit to Universal Studios.
Good to know
- This program is a semester-long course on the Athens campus and includes an off campus field experience in Orlando for a week.
- Participants are required to attend an information session or meet with the director before applying to this program.
Prior to applying, students are required to attend an information session. For the Fall 2021 program, information sessions will be offered virtually via Teams.
- Monday, 1/25/2021 5:00PM Click here to join the meeting
- Friday, 1/29/2021 12:00PM Click here to join the meeting
- Tuesday, 2/2/2021 4:00PM Click here to join the meeting
- Wednesday, 2/10/2021 10:00AM Click here to join the meeting
- Wednesday, 2/10/2021 12:00PM Click here to join the meeting
Students will stay in a Walt Disney World Resort during the 9-day off campus field experience. Two students will share a room.
December 5, 2021 - December 13, 2021
*Students are required to complete a form as part of this program, as they will not be attendance for finals week. This process is handled with guidance from faculty directors.
This program is offered annually and typically opens for application by the beginning of the spring semester.
Study Away and COVID-19
During the COVID-19 Pandemic, participation in study away and abroad involves real and potential personal, financial and academic risk. Please click here to read information related to travel during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Students will take COMM 4023 (T3) for a total of 4 credit hours.
The program fee for this program includes: Disney, Disney Educational Program, Universal, and Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party, meals, and farewell event.
In addition to the program fee, students should plan for 4 credit hours of tuition*, administrative fee, and out-of-pocket costs. Below is the student budget worksheet for this program, which outlines these costs.
Items that are not related to the program (ie. additional entertainment, souvenirs, extra travel, contingency funds) are not included in the cost estimates provided and should be budgeted for separately.
- Non-resident surcharge waived for the credit hours associated with this program.
- If you are nominated to this program, you will be required to pay a deposit to confirm your participation. The deposit is a down payment on the total costs to be billed by OHIO and is determined by the total cost of the program.
- For programs completed over winter-break and spring break, the credit-hours associated with the program are part of the spring semester. Students taking between 12 to 20 Athens campus hours, including those associated with the program, will not incur additional tuition costs for the spring semester. Students taking less than 12 or more than 20 Athens campus credits for the spring term will see their tuition charge adjusted accordingly.
Looking for Funding Opportunities?
More information on financial aid and scholarships can be found on our funding pages.
*School of Media Arts & Studies students may apply for an internal scholarship through the Ralph J. Bitzer MDIA Opportunities Scholarship.
Eligibility and Requirements
This program is open to undergraduate seniors (at the time of the class) with 15 hours of COMS or ITS or JOUR or MDIA or VICO. Applications and GPA will be considered. A list of references is required.
Students who will be on probation at any point during the program for a conduct offense that took place less than a calendar year from the program start date may not study abroad. Click here to read the entire conduct policy.
This program does not accept NON-OHIO students.