Associate Professor and Coordinator
- PhD, Speech Language Pathology, University of Tennessee, 2004
- MA, Speech-Pathology, University of Tennessee, 1999
- BA, English as a Second Language Education, Kangwon National University (South Korea), 1993
- Swallowing and swallowing disorders
- Identify the physiological characteristics of normal and disordered swallowing, and to develop and refine diagnostic tools that recognize patients who aspirate during mealtime
- Use of temporal and biomechanical characteristics, and the development of innovative intervention strategies for dysphagia rehabilitation
- Park, T and Kim, Y (2016). Effects of tongue pressing effortful swallow in older healthy individuals, Achieves of Gerontology and Geriatrics, 66, 127-133.
- Kim, Y., Park, T., Oommen, E. & McCullough. G.H. (2015). Upper esophageal sphincter opening during the swallow in stroke survivors. American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 94 (9),734-739
- McCullough, G. H. & Kim, Y. (2013). Effects of the Mendelsohn maneuver on extent of hyoid movement and UES opening post-stroke. Dysphagia. 28(4):511-519.
- Park, T, Kim, Y. & McCullough, G. H. (2013). Oropharyngeal transition of the bolus in poststroke patients, American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 92 (4), 320-326.
- Park, J, Kim, Y., Oh, J. & Lee, H. (2012). Effortful swallowing training combined with electrical stimulation in post-stroke dysphagia: A randomized controlled study. Dysphagia. 27 (4), 521-7.
- Oommen, E., Kim, Y & McCullough, G. H. (2011). Stage transition and laryngeal closure in poststroke patients with dysphagia, Dysphagia.26. 318-323.
- Kim, Y., & McCullough, G. H. (2010). Maximal hyoid excursion in poststroke patients. Dysphagia.25. 20-25.
- Park, T., Kim, Y., Ko, D., & McCullough, G. H. (2010), Initiation and duration of laryngeal closure during the pharyngeal swallow in patients poststroke. Dysphagia.25, 177-182.
- Kim, Y., & McCullough, G. H. (2008). Maximum hyoid displacement in normal swallowing. Dysphagia, 23, 274-279.
- Kim, Y., & McCullough, G. H. (2007). Stage transition duration in patient poststroke, Dysphagia, 22, 299-305.
- Kim, Y., McCullough, G. H., & Asp, C. W. (2005). Temporal measurement of pharyngeal swallowing of normal adult populations. Dysphagia, 20, 290-296.
- Principal Investigator : Hyoid excursion in patients poststroke. Scholarly Activity Award, CHHS, Ohio University (7/06-6/07) (Funded, $6,939).
- Principal Investigator : Biomechanical Effects of Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation (NMES) Treatment in Chronic Dysphagic Patients, Scholarly Activity Award, CHHS, Ohio University (7/08-6/09) (Funded, $7,000).
- Principal Investigator: Biomechanical measurements of hyolaryngeal excursion after neuromuscular electrical stimulation in post-stroke, Ohio University Research Committee, 2009 ($6878).
- Principal Investigator: Tongue Strength and Function: Does a Tongue Strength Program Make a Difference for Older Adults? Summer Research Award Ohio University College of Health Sciences and Professions, 2013 ($10,000).
- Principal Investigator: Temporal and biomechanical indicators of aspiration in poststroke patients, Summer Research Award Ohio University College of Health Sciences and Professions, 2014 ($9546.37).
Awards and Honors
- 2014 Outstanding Mentor Award, Honor Tutorial College, Ohio University, 2014
- 2013 – 2014 University Professor Award, Ohio University, 2013
- 2013 Outstanding Teaching Award, CHSP Student Advisory Committee, 2013
- 2010 Outstanding Teaching Award, CHHS Student Advisory Committee, 2010
- Lessons for Success Research Award, American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, 2008
- Outstanding Professor Award from the Chi Omega student organization at Ohio University, 2007
- Presidential Teacher Award Selection Committee, fall 2014-2017
- PURF Award Review Committee, fall 2013-2014
- Library Representative of RCS, Ohio University, fall 2004-2015,
- Graduate Teaching Assistant Orientation Distinguished Panel, fall 2013