Assistant Clinical Professor
Grover Center E186
- BS, Dietetics, Ohio University, 2004
- Internship, Dietetics, Virginia Tech, 2005
- MS, Nutrition, East Carolina University, 2008
- PhD, Instructional Technology (Nutrition cognate), 2016
- Understanding and identifying factors influencing elementary teachers’ self-efficacy for integrating technology into nutrition education.
- Developing and researching the effectiveness of K-12 nutrition curriculum to enhance elementary students’ nutrition, mathematics, and science knowledge; specifically the development of FoodMASTER (Food, Math, And Science Teacher Enhancement Resource) curriculum.
- Developing age appropriate tools to assess K-12th graders nutrition knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors.
- Stage, V. C., Roseno, A., Hodges, C.D., Hovland, J., Diaz, S., & Duffrin, M.W., (2016). Implementation of a food-based science curriculum improves 4th grade educators’ self-efficacy for teaching nutrition. American Journal of Health Education, 47, 155-162.
- Caraway-Stage, V., Hovland J., Showers, C., & Duffrin, M.W. (2015). Good-based science curriculum yields gains in nutrition knowledge. Journal of School Health, 85, 231-240.
- Duffrin, M. W., Graham, A., Hovland, J., Carraway-Stage, V. (2015). FoodMASTER: Higher Education. FoodMASTER Printing.
- Hovland, J.A., Carraway-Stage, V.G., Cela, A., Collins, C., Diaz, S.R., Collins, A., & Duffrin, W.M. (2013). Food-based science curriculum increases 4th graders multidisciplinary science knowledge. Journal of Food Science Education, 12, 81-86.
- McLeod, S., Carraway-Stage, V., Hovland, J., & Duffrin, M. (2012). Measuring me: Using nutrition education curriculum activities to teach elementary mathematics. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, 44, 189-191.
- Hovland, J.A., McLeod, S., Duffrin, M.W., Johanson, G., & Berryman, D.E. (2010). School-based screening of the dietary intakes of third-graders in rural Appalachian Ohio . Journal of School Health, 80, 536-543.
- Duffrin, M.W., Hovland, J.A., Carraway-Stage, V., McLeod S., Duffrin, C., Phillips, S., Rivera, D., Saum, D., Johanson, G., Graham, A., Lee, T., Bosse, M., & Berryman, D. (2010) Using food as a tool to teach science to 3 rd grade students in Appalachian Ohio. Journal of Food Science Education, 9, 41-46.
- Duffrin, M.W., Phillips, S., & Hovland, J.A. (2009). FoodMASTER: Using Food to Teach Math and Science Skills: Grades 3-5. FoodMASTER Printing. (Student and Teacher Editions)
Awards and Honors
- HVFH/Pi Beta Phi Endowed Scholarship for Graduate Student Support (2009)
- WVAND Recognize Young Dietitian of the Year (2014)
- Marshall University Most Improved Student Organization (advisor) (2015)
- Nutrition Treatment Program Coordinator (2015-Current)
- AHSW Graduate and Honors Committee Support (2016-Current)
- Member, Scholarship & Governance Committee (2015-2016)