· PhD, Gerontology, University of Kentucky, 2014
· MS, Community & College Counseling and Guidance & Counseling – Secondary Level, Longwood University, Virginia, 2002
· BA, Psychology, Longwood University, 1999
· Gerontechnology: Assistive technologies and digital platforms, design, usability, and audience studies
· Environmental Gerontology
· Gerontology Education and Pedagogy
· CFS 2720 – Aging and Family Relations in Modern Society
· CFS 4070 – Interprofessional Gerontology
· CFS 4660/5660 – Transitions in Development: Middle and Later Life
· CFS 5930 – Graduate Independent Study
· Brown, J.A. (2019). An Exploration of Virtual Reality Use and Application Among Older Populations. Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine.
· Brown, J.A. (2017). Digital gaming perceptions among older adult non-gamers. In: Zhou J., Salvendy G. (Eds) Human Aspects of IT for the Aged Population. Applications, Services and Contexts, Vol 10298. Springer International Publishing, Cham.
· Brown, J.A. & De Schutter, B. (2016). Game design for older adults: Lessons from a life course perspective. International Journal of Gaming and Computer-Mediated Simulations. 8(1), 1-12.
· De Schutter, B. & Brown, J.A. (2016). Digital games as a source of enjoyment in later life. Games and Culture, Special Edition: Digital Gaming & Ageing. 11(1-2), 28-52.
· Brown, J.A., McIlwain, A., & Rowles, G.D. (2015). Environmental design and assistive technologies. In G.D. Rowles & P.B. Teaster (Eds.), Long-Term Care in an Aging Society. Clifton Park, NY: Delmar/Cengage Learning.
Awards and Honors
· Lee Cibrowski Faculty Advising and Mentoring Award Recipient, College of Health Sciences and Professions, Ohio University, 2018
· (Co-P.I.) CHSP Dean’s Innovation Challenge Fund. AQ-IQ: Personal Air Quality Monitors and Health Behaviors. $14,600, 2015
· Professional Enhancement Committee (Chair), DSPH, Ohio University
· Aging in our Community (Co-Organizer), Athens, Ohio
· Board of Trustees, Ohio Association of Gerontology and Education (OAGE)